Thread: Suggested VFO

Suggested VFO

Suggested VFO for Eico 720. The 722 seems to be hard to find and many people dont seem to care for it.

I think I am going to have my mother ship me my Eico 720 when I get to Spain and try to pick up a Drake 2B once there. Apartment sized and fun. :D

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Yea, the Eico VFO is hard to find. Not sure the alternatives are any easier to find...but two that work good are the Hallicrafters HA-5 and the Knight Kit V-44. Used both with a 720 and they're both just fine.

Maybe the rarest of all would be the Globe VFO. Not the 755, but the one that looks like this:

Had a friend who used that with his 720. Will keep an eye out at hamfests for all of these for you. Happy hunting!

I wouldn't recommend either Heath VFO; Never got enough grid drive with the VF-1 on the upper bands...dunno about the "new" one, but I don't think it has any more output than the VF-1.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Ty for the suggestions. I see a lot of HB-10 but...They cost more than my whole CW setup. :P Atm I just have a few xtals. Wouldnt have to find a new 2b if i didnt sell the other one. :P But that I will worry about once I am there. First thing before buying anything is to get settled in over there.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Oh, oh! I know where to get a V-10. Problem solved. :D ty ty for reminding me.

Yea...go for it. That's a damn fine VFO.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Yea...go for it. That's a damn fine VFO.
    I just remembered my buddy Garry has one just sitting in his shack. He has told me a few times its mine if I want it. ^^

That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Yea, the Eico VFO is hard to find. Not sure the alternatives are any easier to find...but two that work good are the Hallicrafters HA-5 and the Knight Kit V-44. Used both with a 720 and they're both just fine.

Maybe the rarest of all would be the Globe VFO. Not the 755, but the one that looks like this:

Had a friend who used that with his 720. Will keep an eye out at hamfests for all of these for you. Happy hunting!

I wouldn't recommend either Heath VFO; Never got enough grid drive with the VF-1 on the upper bands...dunno about the "new" one, but I don't think it has any more output than the VF-1.
    That's the matching VFO for the Globe Scout Deluxe, I looked for years and didn't find one. It has it's own P/S. Very cool.