Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Icom IC-720A

I used to use a pair of Yaesu 101s. :) Loved them. I had the opportunity to buy a restored set cheap. Still kicking myself in the ass for not doing so.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    That sounds good. If I can get the pair cheap, then I'll get both. I was going to use the R-71A with ICOM FL-33 (9.010 MHz) cuz I had it, but I know it would be better to have the matched set. Richmond Frostfest is on the 4th of Feb.. I plan on going armed with a fist full of dollars.
    Here's one set:

http://swap.qth.com/send-to-friend.php?counter=958646

Another:

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/357788

The receiver itself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-FR-101...item2a18823865
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

The set I had available to buy was sexy. A friend of mine had them. W9QNE. I think before that KXQ had them or used them or bought them or something but I dont remember. The first set I ever used belonged to W4CLM. Ofc if you know the call you know they were showroom.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I had two "sets" back in 2004-2005:

An FR-101D/FL-101; the receiver had the digital display, 2/6M converters, FM board and several of the SW BCB crystals and the transmitter had the accessory speech processor.

An FR-101S (analog) and an FT-201. The latter was a redesigned FT-101 whose ergos and cosmetics were identical to the FR-101, but you couldn't transceive with the set - the IF frequencies were slightly different so it wasn't possible for one to supply reference signals to the other. This particular 101 just escaped Katrina and when I got the thing I equipped it with all the spare AUX/WARC/SWBCB crystals I could find. It had both converters and the FM board as well. Both receivers had all available filters.

I sold both plus a lot more Yaesu gear to a guy from Indiana in 2006.

Nice rigs. They did some things which my Drake and Kenwood twins didn't.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    I'm looking for the best post Boat anchor (minimum tubes) for transmitting Amplitude Modulation. I want to take up the full 6 kHz bandwidth using a high fidelity speech processed voice
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

I'm looking for the best post Boat anchor (minimum tubes) for transmitting Amplitude Modulation. I want to take up the full 6 kHz bandwidth using a high fidelity speech processed voice
    Kenwood 940.

Remove the predriver emitter ballasting resistor, sub an R/S 273-1374 audio transformer (secondary in place of the resistor) then drive the primary via the speech amp.

AMWindow has details. I'm getting ready to mod one of mine and will post pics.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Kenwood 940.

Remove the predriver emitter ballasting resistor, sub an R/S 273-1374 audio transformer (secondary in place of the resistor) then drive the primary via the speech amp.

AMWindow has details. I'm getting ready to mod one of mine and will post pics.
    Thank you again Sir. I read the AMwindow mod to the 940. I like the simpler external mod to the 940. I like the idea of installing a fancier commercial speech modulator/processor. I figured you for an ICOM user/Cubic Collector, but you really don't seem to have any brand loyalty. Your radio knowledge seems to border on "Commercial Repair Facility". Is that what you do?
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Thank you again Sir. I read the AMwindow mod to the 940. I like the simpler external mod to the 940. I like the idea of installing a fancier commercial speech modulator/processor. I figured you for an ICOM user/Cubic Collector, but you really don't seem to have any brand loyalty. Your radio knowledge seems to border on "Commercial Repair Facility". Is that what you do?
    Nope, just a tinkerer/RF enthusiast who has the majority of their amateur radio "fun" on the test bench. Whichever piece of equipment best fills a specific role is what I'll place in the lineup.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Nope, just a tinkerer/RF enthusiast who has the majority of their amateur radio "fun" on the test bench. Whichever piece of equipment best fills a specific role is what I'll place in the lineup.
    Well that's too bad! I figured with all the radios you have experience with, you must be the official tester at "Fair Radio Sales" or something. :)
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Well that's too bad! I figured with all the radios you have experience with, you must be the official tester at "Fair Radio Sales" or something. :)
    All of my "rescues" get used and eventually passed on to other hams. While I love rebuilding and collecting older gear I am limited in terms of space, so the current iteration of the shack is probably what will endure. A few Cubics and Drakes will stick around, though.