Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Icom IC-720A

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I would love for Icom to come out with a transceiver which matches the R-9500 and offers all-mode capability on everything through 1.2GHz...inclusive of 222 and 902MHz. Yes, I would buy one.
    No no no. I want a transmitter and receiver not a transceiver and receiver. :D True modern day twins. :D

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    No no no. I want a transmitter and receiver not a transceiver and receiver. :D True modern day twins. :D
    A transceiver plus receiver is the way modern-day "twins" are implemented. Think SO2R with the transmitter section capable of being controlled by either receiver.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A transceiver plus receiver is the way modern-day "twins" are implemented. Think SO2R with the transmitter section capable of being controlled by either receiver.
    Right but Im saying they should build something retro. :D Im willing to bet I would not be the only one buying it. :D

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Right but Im saying they should build something retro. :D Im willing to bet I would not be the only one buying it. :D
    Unless they gave them away, I'd be willing to bet you would definitely be in the minority. The last days of the amateur-market "discretes" ended with the 75S-3/32S-3, HR1680/HX1681 and R4C/T4XC series. What followed was the KWM380/(planned)451-S1, TR7/R7 and TS-820S/R-820. Each was a transceiver/receiver pair. Remember that on many operating desks, space came at a premium. Collins, Drake and Kenwood's marketing departments were aware of this.

One might opine that the IC-720/R70 along with the later '751/R71 combo were designed as a "set" but in actuality the receivers were introduced several years later than the transceivers. Neither is as fully integrated as the 7-line or '820 series is: Full transceive capability and an antenna distribution scheme which allowed both receivers to operate at once.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Unless they gave them away, I'd be willing to bet you would definitely be in the minority. The last days of the amateur-market "discretes" ended with the 75S-3/32S-3, HR1680/HX1681 and R4C/T4XC series. What followed was the KWM380/(planned)451-S1, TR7/R7 and TS-820S/R-820. Each was a transceiver/receiver pair. Remember that on many operating desks, space came at a premium. Collins, Drake and Kenwood's marketing departments were aware of this.

One might opine that the IC-720/R70 along with the later '751/R71 combo were designed as a "set" but in actuality the receivers were introduced several years later than the transceivers. Neither is as fully integrated as the 7-line or '820 series is: Full transceive capability and an antenna distribution scheme which allowed both receivers to operate at once.
    Minority but not alone. However, its not likely to happen. Therefore my thoughts are to at some point put together a R4-T4 station. Ofc my dreams of a KWS-1 and 75A-4 will always be in place for my AM station. :P (32v-? and 75A-4 are more likely or something similar.)

Minority but not alone. However, its not likely to happen. Therefore my thoughts are to at some point put together a R4-T4 station. Ofc my dreams of a KWS-1 and 75A-4 will always be in place for my AM station. :P (32v-? and 75A-4 are more likely or something similar.)
    I know where a set is located and will be coming available in the near future. If you're interested, I'll put you in touch with the person.

I know where a set is located and will be coming available in the near future. If you're interested, I'll put you in touch with the person.
    Lol. I bet the shipping to Spain would be erm..yeah a car might be cheaper. :P They are not in my future for another 3-5 years at the least.

Conch Master
    I'm selling off half a dozen hobbies on ebay to get the money to buy a discrete AM Transmitter. I want to use it with an R71A modified for AM reception with a 10 kHz filter. I love the sound of AM. I'm trying to stay out of the tube era. How is the Yaesu FL-101 on AM? I like the discrete twin idea to. Most have built in power supplies.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I'm selling off half a dozen hobbies on ebay to get the money to buy a discrete AM Transmitter. I want to use it with an R71A modified for AM reception with a 10 kHz filter. I love the sound of AM. I'm trying to stay out of the tube era. How is the Yaesu FL-101 on AM? I like the discrete twin idea to. Most have built in power supplies.
    The FL-101 is very nice when run on AM - use a D-104 with the rig for best results. Remember not to exceed 100ma IC when transmitting AM, and adjust the mic gain for a slight flicker on voice peaks. Best way to set the audio level with the transmitter is via an inline monitor scope such as a YO-100/101.

What I would do if I were you is to find an FR-101S and pair with the transmitter.

Caveat:

The Yaesu receiver has no notch filter or PBT control but on AM you aren't going to need them. I would choose the "S" model over the "D" because the analog readout needs no special treatment when plugging in extra band crystals.

Conch Master
    The FL-101 is very nice when run on AM - use a D-104 with the rig for best results. Remember not to exceed 100ma IC when transmitting AM, and adjust the mic gain for a slight flicker on voice peaks. Best way to set the audio level with the transmitter is via an inline monitor scope such as a YO-100/101.

What I would do if I were you is to find an FR-101S and pair with the transmitter.

Caveat:

The Yaesu receiver has no notch filter or PBT control but on AM you aren't going to need them. I would choose the "S" model over the "D" because the analog readout needs no special treatment when plugging in extra band crystals.
    That sounds good. If I can get the pair cheap, then I'll get both. I was going to use the R-71A with ICOM FL-33 (9.010 MHz) cuz I had it, but I know it would be better to have the matched set. Richmond Frostfest is on the 4th of Feb.. I plan on going armed with a fist full of dollars.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 01-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?