Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Organic Food", Good but not Nessesary

"Organic Food", Good but not Nessesary

Recently I have been hearing claims that food grown using "natural fertilizers" , such as manure, decayed plant matter, decayed food materials, are somehow superior to foods grown using inorganic chemical fertilizers. Nothing can be further from the truth. Plants which derive nutrients from the soil and water end up having to extract and convert the nutrients and materials in "organic fertilizers" to the same nutrients found in inorganic chemical fertilizers. To the plant both are the same.

So, about the only thing different between "organically grown food" versus "non-organically grown food" is the price, the former generally being more expensive. Organic food ? Nice but not necessary.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Simply put, there is no measurable difference in the quality of food grown organically over that grown using the more conventional methods. However, when correctly managed, organic farming is probably easier on the overall environment because it's less dependent on the use of petroleum products. Is that worth the extra money for the produce? I don't know; it's a judgement call.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I usually draw the line at organic polymers of a high molecular mass.
    But farting that 'new car smell' has its benefits when carpooling.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

You're eating a plant, not the chemicals or pig poo it grew up in so why pay extra for marketing hype? Oh, I never smelled a new car fart or one that smelled like a new car so what am I missing?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Idk but I do buy my meat from the local butcher that is not fed steroids. I figure if they are bad for you to take directly they are bad by proxy as well.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Oh, I never smelled a new car fart or one that smelled like a new car so what am I missing?
    I've joked a lot about our overly processed foods containing more and more complex polymer chains as additives. So much, that eventually humans will probably fart a new car smell.
    just me being an idiot.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    I've joked a lot about our overly processed foods containing more and more complex polymer chains as additives. So much, that eventually humans will probably fart a new car smell.
    just me being an idiot.
    Idk about that but my stomach can only handle so much processed food, or at least specific types. Prime example would be fast foods. If its more than twice a month..I erm..well I have to take Metamucil as it is.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    You're eating a plant, not the chemicals or pig poo it grew up in so why pay extra for marketing hype?
    Very true. Furthermore, "organically grown" doesn't necessarily mean the food is free of pesticides. It is entirely possible an "organic farmer" may use pesticides to save an endangered crop. Matter of fact many so called "organic vegetables" tested show definite levels of pesticide residues, sometimes comparable to levels found in non-organically grown foods.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Very true. Furthermore, "organically grown" doesn't necessarily mean the food is free of pesticides. It is entirely possible an "organic farmer" may use pesticides to save an endangered crop. Matter of fact many so called "organic vegetables" tested show definite levels of pesticide residues, sometimes comparable to levels found in non-organically grown foods.
    I pay more for my veggies in the long run because I grow them myself. Yes, year 'round. They taste better too. Though I have to say, they do taste better grown outside as opposed too in one of my greenhouses. Well, different not necessarily better. Either way they taste better IMO than what I get in the store.

As far as them being better for you goes. Anyone can believe what they want, Ill believe my stomach. :)

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Simply put, there is no measurable difference in the quality of food grown organically over that grown using the more conventional methods. However, when correctly managed, organic farming is probably easier on the overall environment because it's less dependent on the use of petroleum products. Is that worth the extra money for the produce? I don't know; it's a judgement call.
    ^^^ This
    Only reason I try to buy organic. But if possible, I'll look past the non-organic label if I get a chance to check out how the farm is ran. If they farm using standard methods, but run their tractors on wood gas; or reclaim the methane from manure; I'll side with that one.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com