Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a DSLR aficianodo..

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Becoming a DSLR aficianodo..

My foray into digital photography has been pretty much pocket-sized cameras for the convenience and for the fact that they take great pics (especially the Canon G series..the "Liecas" of range finder digital cams? I think so.) and can go where a DSLR can't, at least conveniently.

But since his passing I can't put the DSLR I bough from Albi down. All the pix I posted lately are done with it & today I took it over to Best Buy to get a gadget bag over it. Took shot after shot of the neighborhood on the way over and back. Also, soon's I got it I got the 55-250 IS lens for it. Can't to THAT with a pocket camera!

I'm getting hooked. Probably take a stroll around the city on Christmas day going crazy with it.

R.I.P, dear friend.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I like using a tripod for night shots. Experiment in the manual mode. Once you get the hang of it, the results are both beautiful and eerie. The bulb of your shutter and a watch are your friends.

Cool stuff, Paul. Be sure to share the ones you like!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I like using a tripod for night shots. Experiment in the manual mode. Once you get the hang of it, the results are both beautiful and eerie. The bulb of your shutter and a watch are your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Cool stuff, Paul. Be sure to share the ones you like!
    Sure Will!

I'm going to be in the market for a D-series Canon or a Nikon some time in the next year or so. Had a lot of fun with a Pentax K1000 over the years, and now it's time to go digital.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

You'll enjoy it, Fred. Long Pentax background here, too. Never had a K1000, but Spotmatics, K2's, ME's...

It's too bad all of our old Pentax lens, of which we have a metric shitload, won't fit any of our DSLRs.

BTW I am thinking about getting my kid a camera axe for his Bday coming up. (I will borrow it often, of course) Do I need anything other than the axe kit? I seem to remember something about another board or additional something or another. Anything else you might recommend to enhance its use? Also, how many flash units do you use? Thanx
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Sold off most of the Pentax stuff, but still have a few exotic lenses and my old 645 stuff. I'm thinking the days of film here are long gone.

As for the Camera Axe... The little kit (which is what I have) is basically an Arduino "shield." You still need the Arduino Uno controller which you can get here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9950

I've found that a little wall-wart power supply is handy too:
    http://www.amazon.com/12v-Power-Adap...5085610&sr=8-3

Much beyond that, it's all sensors and stuff. The water drop stuff is done with the valve "sensor." All in the store here:
    http://www.dreamingrobots.com/store/...ain_page=index

You'll also need cables for whatever camera you use, flash cables, etc. (Yeah, it can get a little expensive.)

I've got the flash board (drives 4 strobes). Use three to light the water and one for the background, but still playing. It's pretty tricky getting a sharp picture because the water is moving fast. One of the keys to this is using manual strobes in low-power mode -- less power = shorter flash duration. The Yongnuo YN-560's seem to be really popular for this: http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560.../dp/B004GZLFHM -- they'll go down to 1/128 power. Kind of a HongKong knock-off of the Vivitar 285, but with a zoom head and better control (and a great price).

Thanks for the info. I'll check it all out.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL