Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sweet look of film

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

The sweet look of film

Was just looking at some ham pix I took with a Rollie many moons ago. Ah, the sweet look of 2 1/4 film!

Enjoy!

apache.jpggpr90.jpggsb1.jpgS-Line.jpg
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Yeah, even deep into the digital age there's still something to be said for film.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Was just looking at some ham pix I took with a Rollie many moons ago. Ah, the sweet look of 2 1/4 film!

Enjoy!

apache.jpggpr90.jpggsb1.jpgS-Line.jpg
    Very nice. Do you still have these pieces?
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

No, unfortunately. That was back when I lived out in the wilds of NJ and had the room. Lots and lots of fun! Obviously I never got around to setting the shots up properly...but the "in situ" isn't bad...I guess.

They all found a good home, tho', and live on to this day.

The Rollie came from a hamfest.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Yeah, even deep into the digital age there's still something to be said for film.
    It's still a pain in the ass? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    It's still a pain in the ass? ;)
    These days yeah. Unless you set up with your own darkroom and really get into it. I must admit there was something fascinating about developing a roll of film and ,making a set of prints. Now the "darkroom" lies within a chip inside the camera. I am puzzled though. Where do they get people small enough to fit inside the chip to do the developing ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    These days yeah. Unless you set up with your own darkroom and really get into it. I must admit there was something fascinating about developing a roll of film and ,making a set of prints. Now the "darkroom" lies within a chip inside the camera. I am puzzled though. Where do they get people small enough to fit inside the chip to do the developing ?
    Used to love spending hours in the darkroom smelling hypo. B&W only...never got into color. What's great about these days is I can shoot color film, negative or slide, get it developed, and scan 'em into the computer and go crazy with PS.

What's a PITA about MF is pretty much the setup of the shot. Tripod...spotmeter...fussing to get everything right...depth of field or hyperfocal? And on and on and on.

With a digital camera, it's pretty much compose and click.
    Last edited by W1GUH; 12-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.

What's a PITA about MF is pretty much the setup of the shot. Tripod...spotmeter...fussing to get everything right...depth of field or hyperfocal? And on and on and on.
    Meh... I've spent a lot of time with a Pentax 645 MF film camera. Works just like a modern 35mm SLR, only bigger and heavier. Built-in meter, autowinder, easy to hand hold, etc.

Oh, yea....hand-held, even with a TLR is do-able, especially with a pistol-grip. Looks sexy, too. Using that camera sometimes makes me feel like a Paparazzi from La Dolce Vita!

But for max control of everything (I can be downright extra-anal when doing this) it's the "art shot" technique that'll do it for ya.

OTOH, it is very true that some of my shots from a digital point-and-shoot have approached that technical excellence. Take a lot of motivation out of shlepping that heavy bag.

BTW...always wanted a MF SLR. But since digital --

Major wood there...

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Oh, yea....hand-held, even with a TLR is do-able, especially with a pistol-grip. Looks sexy, too. Using that camera sometimes makes me feel like a Paparazzi from La Dolce Vita!

But for max control of everything (I can be downright extra-anal when doing this) it's the "art shot" technique that'll do it for ya.

OTOH, it is very true that some of my shots from a digital point-and-shoot have approached that technical excellence. Take a lot of motivation out of shlepping that heavy bag.

BTW...always wanted a MF SLR. But since digital --

Major wood there...
    Nice camera. We have MF Yashica here somewhere. I should break that out and see what it can do.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg