Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Chips

Potato Chips

I remember back in the early 60's when Lay's came out with Barbecue chips. They seemed like Da BOMBA... They were really hot. Anyone remember the early days of falvoured commercial chips ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I remember when both potato chips and pretzels were sold in five-gallon cans. The chips sure held up one hell of a lot better than they do now in bags stuffed on the shelves by truck drivers with hairy forearms.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Best potato chips, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    truck drivers with hairy forearms.
    I resemble that remark. And I remember when chips came in great oaken barrels and we had to walk six miles barefoot through the snow (uphill both ways) to get 'em, too. Kids these days have it too easy with their fancy "barbeque" chips. No wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

We spend close to $1,000 a month on groceries here at the ØRT hotel (really). And I'm the driver on nearly every trip to the store.

What I know about potato chips: A ten pound bag of potatoes is pretty cheap. Slice 'em and fry 'em in a totally automated process and a 1 pound bag of Lay's costs almost five bucks (about the same as that ten pound bag). A one-pound bag of frozen french fries is the same deal (and they always come out soggy). That's a huge profit for a bit of processing and packaging.

Never much cared for the flavored stuff. Stuck my hand in a bag of Lay's looking for a small handful this week and my daughter said "you know those are vinegar and garlic, right?" I said "Watch me eat just one."

Seriously carb challenged these days; try to avoid the stuff.

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

charles.jpg

Which reminds me: what the hell has happened to our barkeep?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    charles.jpg

I miss Charles.

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    charles.jpg

Still walkabout. Cornered him on the Zed, told him I was still waiting for that drink. He seemed in pleasant spirits, (pun not originally intended, but what the hell), but did NOT say anything about returning. Told him he was missed, by more than one.

Bet you can't eat just one.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin