Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential vandalism in an urban environment..

Question Potential vandalism in an urban environment..

I recently moved to the 2 1/2 floor of a very urban area of Denver. The neighborhood is filled with interesting characters.. I'm able to hang a 'random wire' outside of my bedroom window (doesn't do much for transmitting, but it hears pretty well)..

My concern is that someone might try to yank the wire for the copper value.. This wouldn't be the end of the world, but unfortunately it's attached to a $1000+ radio. :P Does anyone know of a good easy release coax connector I could put on the end of my rig? Similar to Apple's laptop power cord? I'd obviously be concerned by how this might effect the signal quality..

Thoughts?

If you only listen just get the wire in the center connector so that it easioly can be pulled out.
    I have a PL259 plug that "clamps" on without screwing it on the SO 239 chassis part.
    You can pull that one off without screwing it loose or on, just a quick tug and it's off.

Should be available there too, or if you are really in need i can send it up.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    I have a PL259 plug that "clamps" on without screwing it on the SO 239 chassis part.
    Interesting. I'm not sure I've seen those, do you have a part # or brand name?

Banned
    Is it just hanging from your window? If so, why not just cut the wire at a spot high enough off the ground that it can't be reached, then remove a couple of inches of insulation off the remaining ends and twist them together. That way, if someone grabs the end of the antenna the most they're gonna get is the bottom 10 feet, the rest will be left hanging above where they can reach it. You can even use some electrical tape to help keep moisture out, but the ends will still separate if the bottom section is pulled on.
    Last edited by N2CHX; 12-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    Interesting. I'm not sure I've seen those, do you have a part # or brand name?
    http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/i...oducts_id=1876

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Is it just hanging from your window? If so, why not just cut the wire at a spot high enough off the ground that it can't be reached
    Fire escape.

Thanks for the connector suggestion, that should give me enough protection, especially if I disconnect every time the radio is off..

Random wire? Wouldn't a simple banana plug/jack do the job? You could do strain relief with dental floss. (seriously)

BTW, this is kind of a serious concern. Had someone attach their truck to a sprinkler valve at work about two years ago to steal the brass. They left with nothing, but it cost about $4,000 to repair and the city of Westmonster probably lost 20,000 gallons of water in the process. (Have pics of the 30' geyser)
    Last edited by kf0rt; 12-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Old school bannana plug and jack FTW!

Just for fun, have you tried using the fire escape itself as an RX antenna?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Just for fun, have you tried using the fire escape itself as an RX antenna?
    Or a would-be vandal as an TX antenna?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Does seem like enough copper to bother with. The creeps steal air conditioner condensers that cost thousands for $50 worth of copper. The types that steal copper are probably to dense to realize you're using copper wire.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg