Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Americans Are Getting Ginormously Humongously Larger-Sized

Why Americans Are Getting Ginormously Humongously Larger-Sized

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...via=siderecent

Europeans might be less fat, but the trend is there too...

Small cut from the article:

1. You can now buy a motorized ice-cream cone that spins so you don't have to lick it, you just stick out your tongue. That’s why I was going to call this “ARE WE GETTING EVEN FATTER AND LAZIER?”
    2. Dieting is almost impossible in America now. The Outback Steakhouse has cheese fries that are 2,900 calories. We are supposed to have 2,000-3,000 calories a DAY, not as an appetizer.
    3. I read a Jamba Juice has almost as many calories as a Ben & Jerry's, so I went back to the Ben & Jerry's.
    4. Kentucky Fried Chicken has a new sandwich which uses fried chicken as the bread. I might as well have the gang kid behind the counter shoot me in the head.:shock:
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...via=siderecent

Europeans might be less fat, but the trend is there too...
    Shrimp that comes in the oil in which it was fried almost as if a stew, fried bacon on a baguette covered in oil, oil and garlic mushroom soup (its not really a soup but it sure looks like one), etc...Sure olive oil is better for you than butter but don't drink it. Heh idk about all of Europe but I learned in Spain that the food is just as bad for me as what I get here. Unless ofc I am cooking for myself. Most of the time I do. Now, one thing I can say is that I love the ability to buy every ounce of my food fresh with no preservatives.

...oh...and raw ham...its not an acquired taste it is food for those without taste. :P

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Can't remember when i was the last time at Mc Donalds or another fast food chain.
    We like to do home cooking, meaning i cook 5 to 6 out od 7 days the wife takes care of the other day ;)
    For decades ago i cut back on salt, use more spices and fresh produce.
    The wife lost 40 ponds over the years, and i'm within the safe line according my doc, and i like to keep it that way.

;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Can't remember when i was the last time at Mc Donalds or another fast food chain.
    We like to do home cooking, meaning i cook 5 to 6 out od 7 days the wife takes care of the other day ;)
    The wife lost 40 ponds over the years, and i'm within the safe line according my doc, and i like to keep it that way.

;)
    Ive lost 81 lbs or so. Its the damn tapa bars that are gonna get me when I get back to Spain. Pilar likes Tapas every Saturday after going to the market.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

;)
    I'll bet the fish are pissed.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    Shrimp that comes in the oil in which it was fried almost as if a stew, fried bacon on a baguette covered in oil, oil and garlic mushroom soup (its not really a soup but it sure looks like one), etc...Sure olive oil is better for you than butter but don't drink it. Heh idk about all of Europe but I learned in Spain that the food is just as bad for me as what I get here. Unless ofc I am cooking for myself. Most of the time I do. Now, one thing I can say is that I love the ability to buy every ounce of my food fresh with no preservatives.

...oh...and raw ham...its not an acquired taste it is food for those without taste. :P
    Raw ham? Where was that mentioned...couldn't find a reference in the link or any where.

Can you say trichinosis?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Trichinosis
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Sure you can.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Trichinosis from pork is mostly a thing of the past in most of the Western world. Modern husbandry has pretty much eliminated the scourge, and most cases in Europe or the US occur as the result of eating under-cooked game -- especially bear -- or under-cooked pork that was raised by "home" farmers and not commercial hog farms. Feed is especially important and is probably the primary contributor to the development of trichinosis in hogs, and the worst cases are among those animals raised on scraps and refuse.

Of course, the steady reduction of USDA and FDA inspection standards and staffing in recent years may see a resurgence of problems, as we have seen with the ludicrous numbers of e. coli infections in recent times.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Raw ham? Where was that mentioned...couldn't find a reference in the link or any where.

Can you say trichinosis?
    It wasnt mentioned. None of it was mentioned in the link. It is all from personal experience. Raw ham (sometimes not raw but rather cured) is often served in Spain at small tapa bars. Though in most it comes either with a tapa or a pintxo(pincho for the Americanized spelling) on very hard chunk of bread and is cured with salt. However there are more than a few places that server it raw...and let me say...EWW!

That aside, most tapas and pintxos are very delightful. And I have to admit that jamon is rather good. It is kind of like bacon but prepared like cured beef. Just saying, when its raw its not so good lol.