Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweepstakes Phone 2011... How'd You Do?

Sweepstakes Phone 2011... How'd You Do?

I know KB3LIX was on, I worked him.

Put in a part time effort, between one thing and another (but I did get the doors sanded and refinished!)

265 QSO's, 42,400 points, and most importantly...

80 sections... my first ever clean sweep in SS!

All with 100 W out from a Ten-Tec Omni VI+ & Butternut HF6V on 10 - 40, Tec-Tec Corsair II & Inverted "L" on 75.

Anyone else (of those that operated the contest, of course)?

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I did very well, because I ignored it.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I did very well, because I ignored it.
    Same here—contests are the ebil. Haven't had a radio on at all in days, been working on rebuilding the power supply for the T-4X instead. I'm just about ready to test it to make sure I didn't put the red wire where the green wire should have gone but assuming it works, then I'll find out at last if the transmitter works.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I actually broke down and tried SS for the first time. The goal was 80 sections in 80 Qs.

Wound up with 80 Qs, but only 78 sections. Missed KY and SB.

KY? Seriously? WTF?

Same thing with SB. Of all the CA stations I heard, couldn't find one from Santa Barbara that was running a frequency? WTF?

Maybe if I had spent more than 12.5 hours in the chair?
    Last edited by KJ3N; 11-21-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Tiki Bearer
    I didn't put in that much time this weekend as I just wasn't "in the mood"
    Saturday.

I was in the hospital from last monday until friday.

BUT,
    Sunday,
    I figured that it was time to get back in the swing of things.

80m...49
    40m...65
    20m...28
    15m...36
    10m...31

Total: 209
    Sections: 72

Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC

For a limited effort, I'm satisfied.

SWEEPS was good for me, it put me back on track.

where I was going to go do this, well other things came up so I just slept all weekend.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LIX View Post
    I didn't put in that much time this weekend as I just wasn't "in the mood"
    Saturday.

I was in the hospital from last monday until friday.

BUT,
    Sunday,
    I figured that it was time to get back in the swing of things.

80m...49
    40m...65
    20m...28
    15m...36
    10m...31

Total: 209
    Sections: 72

Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC

For a limited effort, I'm satisfied.

SWEEPS was good for me, it put me back on track.
    NLI was tough this year. I didn't snag him until late on Sunday. BC was earlier on Sunday. The rest of that group I got overnight on 40 or 75 SSB. There were two or three stations on from the USVI (NP2B comes to mind) , and I heard them on 10 late Sunday morning. I've heard some other grousing that SB was tough this year, there were some packet spots to the effect, but there were at least two guys on.

I was shocked to hear not one, but two VE8 stations in the Northern Territory on. Used to be you could count on VY1JA for the NT contact, but J has been less active for a variety of reasons. Still, I've never worked a pure VE8 before. (I did once work someone on an IOTA trip, but that was a VE8/ which isn't quite the same thing, and that wasn't in SS anyway). Got one of them, never could break the pileup on the other (and I wasn't trying to hard anyway)

WMass was easy this year, EMass was very tough (my next to last section). Usually it's the other way around. Almost didn't get RI for my last one; W1XX was running a small pileup on 7199.5, and a pair of pig-farmer types plopped down right on top of him to "teach them damn contesters a less" (and never mind that W1XX was on before they showed up on 7200, I was listening) and drove him off the air. Then I heard an ND1 (IIRC) with a low number on 75 just before I called it quits. Got him on a couple of calls. The ham running W3YA (who I know casually from Pa QSO) was in the same pile-up, Mark told me later that he didn't get that RI but another one showed up a little later on. He only missed one... VE2. Go figure, this year the "tough" ones were easy, and the "easy" ones were tough...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LIX View Post
    Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC.
    It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one who had troubles with SB & KY.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

You know, taken out of context... nah, I won't go there...

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    You know, taken out of context... nah, I won't go there...
    YOU are a very sick man.

Latest ClubLog entries.