Thread: Question about Capacitors for you Boat Anchor guys

Question about Capacitors for you Boat Anchor guys

I have dozens of those high voltage Sprague Orange Drop Capacitors in a wide range of values, all packaged in their own little plastic boxes.
    I know that these aren't made anymore. I know they were used mostly in tube equipment etc.

In Dec. I'll be hauling a bunch of stuff off to the Hamfest in Carthage, IL because we will be needing Christmas money. I can't find any references online to what these caps would be worth. Obviously, I don't want to sell them for $.10 each if they are worth a $1.

Anybody know what I should charge for these? I'll include a couple of pictures. I have more of these out in the garage too! I added a bunch of them to my grab bag deals I did this spring.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

IMG_20111116_123426.jpgIMG_20111116_124307.jpg
    Last edited by KA9MOT; 11-16-2011 at 01:50 PM.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Put up a sign tha says $1 each or 2 for $5. You'd be surprised how many don't think about it.

Start out at a .50and let them beat you up a little. See what kind of response you get, and adjust up or down as necessary. Or go around and see what others are asking and adjust accordingly. Since you have no use for them, anything is better than hauling them back home. Towards the end of it, try to make a deal for all of them. I've found the most popular are .001, .01, .1, .47, 22pf, 47pf, 100pf, 220pf, 330pf, 470pf.

Just remember how cheap hams are.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Sprague-O...-/130563905629

They seem to be going for .70 to $1 apiece. FWIW, a lot of discussion about using them in audio gear...

So if the Hamsters are too cheap, maybe some Audiophools?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

OK Good info! Thanks to all who replied.

I think I am going to make a list of all that I have, and sell them individually online instead. More of an audience that way.
    Gonna be allot of work though.........
    Last edited by KA9MOT; 11-16-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Call them Monster Orange, and sell them for $6 each to the audio guys. ;)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Call them Monster Orange, and sell them for $6 each to the audio guys. ;)
    Good thinking! Tell the audiophools that the caps have "oxygen-free" leads or something.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Monster Orange... Great idea!

I decided to package deal them:

http://forums.hamisland.net/showthre...781#post386781

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

I just ordered a bunch of "Orange Drops" condensers of different values for a old tube (1940's) AM portable that I'm trying to restore. They range between $1 - $2.50 depending on size and voltage. Of course these are the modern day "orange drops", mostly polyester film and polypropylene film and metalized film condensers and are good replacements for the old wax paper condensers that are being replaced.

Next comes a re-condenserizing of my Valiant. I'm going to need a bunch of nice sized electrolytic condensers. 20, 40, 80 mikes at >600V.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I just ordered a bunch of "Orange Drops" condensers &nbsp;of different values for a old tube (1940's) AM portable that I'm trying to restore. &nbsp;They range between $1 - $2.50 depending on size and voltage. &nbsp;Of course these are the modern day "orange drops", mostly polyester film and polypropylene film and metalized film condensers and are good replacements for the old wax paper condensers that are being replaced.<br><br>Next comes a re-condenserizing of my Valiant. &nbsp;I'm going to need a bunch of nice sized electrolytic condensers. &nbsp;20, 40, 80 mikes at &gt;600V.

Oops !! Sorry for repost.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.