Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cast iron

cast iron

Who here uses it? We have many different pans, pots, Dutch ovens - all either Wagner or Griswold. Only a few modern non-sticks. The wife uses some for this, some for that. I use an iron griddle for eggs, and an antique iron waffle iron. Watcha got?
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

17, 15, 12, 10,8, and 6 inch cast skillets. Also have a cast griddle I use with the coleman. Love em. Some were my grandmothers; I have a 6 inch square that was hers. The newer ones are Lodge I believe. Absolutely no substitute for even cooking. Particularly nice for fish and chicken.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I have one ancient skillet by Wagner that I use solely for cornbread. I also have a unbranded "chicken fryer" of unknown ancestry -- it is an oval shape, two inches deep, about nine wide and sixteen inches long inside. Handles on each end, which preclude its use in my oven which is too small to accommodate such a pan. Used to use it on the grill outdoors, but haven't tetched it in yahrs.

Nowadays I use clad-stainless for everything and scour them with Brillo (no detergent shall ever touch one of my pots or pans, least of all auto-dishwasher stuff).
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I have a large ancient one with a busted handle.

Used as a broiler pan on the bottom rack, not in a broiler "drawer".
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    The newer ones are Lodge I believe.
    The Lodge is much more polite if you take an angle grinder and make 'em smooth. Still good though.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Banned
    10" griddle, brand x, had it from new for about 20 years. Dedicated to my daily fried egg. Nothing but EV olive oil touches it. Extremely slightly higher in the center than the edges.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 11-09-2011 at 11:47 PM.

I have some Le Creuset cast iron stuff from France that's really sweet but most of my cooking is done using stainless-clad copper sauce pans.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Carl, have you ever used San Marzano canned tomatoes? I payed $3.88 for a 28oz can of these at Wally world.
    The best canned tomatoes I ever had were from Italy but had no salt, calcium chloride, or citric acid in them. These have salt, they better be good.

Orca Whisperer
    All I have is a 10" skillet and a griddle. Only used for breakfast, and the occasional steak or salmon.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com