Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Globe Scout 65-A

Wanted: Globe Scout 65-A

Had one of these as a kid. SWEET AM audio! Thought I had another one bought a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like I was scammed. (My own fault -- I saw the "red flags", but ignored them 'cause I wanted the rig so badly and the price was right.) So I'm looking again. Anybody willing to part with theirs? It'll have a real good new home with this nostalgic OM!
    Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL WD4ICJ

Sorry you got scammed, Ron. I will keep a lookout for one at the monthly swap meet. Do you have a price range?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Can't go over $150 or so now that I've been scammed once already. Doesn't have to be really pretty, but must be fully functional, especially on AM.

By the way, is there any way I could "blacklist" the scammer on this site, so others know who NOT to do business with? I have his name and location, but won't post it without permission. Don't want to be guilty of a "personal attack".

Quote Originally Posted by WD4ICJ View Post
    Can't go over $150 or so now that I've been scammed once already. Doesn't have to be really pretty, but must be fully functional, especially on AM.

By the way, is there any way I could "blacklist" the scammer on this site, so others know who NOT to do business with? I have his name and location, but won't post it without permission. Don't want to be guilty of a "personal attack".
    We don't have a specific rule against personal attacks, Ron. The expectation here is that everyone acts like the adult they are, and they are treated as such. The staff very rarely steps in unless things get really out of hand.

Regarding the fellow who did you wrong, you may offer what you wish about this 'gentleman', but please keep it legal and accurate. If they happen to show up here on our shores, we will allow them the same opportunity. Our creed is that everyone arrives here with a clean slate, regardless of past history on other sites, and, within the few rules we have, may enjoy speaking his/her mind without fear of retaliation.

http://forums.hamisland.net/showthre...nd-Forum-Rules
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

You're more apt to get into trouble if you DON'T tell us the story. And, if you don't have pix, it didn't happen.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

The Feedback Forum on QTH.COM can give you some examples of how people have listed "problem" transactions, both good and bad.

Essentially, just tell us what happened. As Jack Webb would have put it, "just the facts, sir". Offhand, if you lay it out that "he posted this, I replied thus, then this happened, then that happened" it's not a personal attack. Now, if you decide to discuss his ancestry, or speculate on the marital status of his parents at the time of his conception... that might be a personal attack.

(JMHO as a grey haired beachcomber -- I am not a mod on the site, so you don't have to listen to me!)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The following occured between 10/10 and 10/26/11:
    1. I ran a "wanted" ad for a Globe Scout 65-A on the AM Fone site.
    2. Scammer wrote me: "I have one. Looks good and works perfectly. Interested in buying?
    3. Me: Yes! How much? Scammer: $100 Me: You have a deal. How do you want to be paid? I can do "Pay Pal", MO, or cashier's check. Scammer: Send money via a Western Union Money transfer. (RED FLAG #1! But I didn't listen)
    4. Scammer sent me his name and address, ask for same from me , plus my phone number...I sent him name, addrss & phone, and asked for HIS phone number. (Didn't get it. RED FLAG #2! But I didn't listen.) I STILL don't have his phone number....but he got mine) 5. Scammer sent me a UPS form, stating that the item was "boxed" on 10/17/11, and tracking # would be provided upon receipt of $100. 6. Me - "How much for shipping? There was no shipping amount listed on the form." Scammer: "Shipping is $20. Total amount to send: $120." 7. I sent $120 via WU to the scammer's name and town. 8. Scammer: "I couldn't pick up the money because the WU control number is wrong". (RED FLAG #3! Once a scammer has the control number, he can collect the cash without an ID!!! I didn't know that before. I know now....but too late. Like a dumb ass, I sent the scammer the control number.) 9. Me to scammer: "Please let me know when Xmtr ships so I know when to expect it here. Also please send the UPS tracking number, and your phone number". Scammer: "Transmitter has been shipped, it should get to you anytime from now. Thanks" (NO UPS tracking number, and NO phone number sent.) 10: (about a week later) Me: "The transmitter has not arrived, it is long overdue. Please use the UPS tracking number and find out where it is, and advise." (Nothing heard from scammer since)

Scammer's name: (or one of them...) Leonard Chiddister
    Address provided: 15531 Lago Vila, Tomball, TX 77377 (Yes, there really is a Tomball, TX!)
    No phone # ever received, no UPS tracking # ever recieved, no ham call letters, no Xmtr ever received....the money's gone. Watch out for this guy! Thanks for your help, and for letting me post this. Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The following occured between 10/10 and 10/26/11:
    1. I ran a "wanted" ad for a Globe Scout 65-A on the AM Fone site.
    2. Scammer wrote me: "I have one. Looks good and works perfectly. Interested in buying?
    3. Me: Yes! How much? Scammer: $100 Me: You have a deal. How do you want to be paid? I can do "Pay Pal", MO, or cashier's check. Scammer: Send money via a Western Union Money transfer. (RED FLAG #1! But I didn't listen)
    4. Scammer sent me his name and address, ask for same from me , plus my phone number...I sent him name, addrss & phone, and asked for HIS phone number. (Didn't get it. RED FLAG #2! But I didn't listen.) I STILL don't have his phone number....but he got mine) 5. Scammer sent me a UPS form, stating that the item was "boxed" on 10/17/11, and tracking # would be provided upon receipt of $100. 6. Me - "How much for shipping? There was no shipping amount listed on the form." Scammer: "Shipping is $20. Total amount to send: $120." 7. I sent $120 via WU to the scammer's name and town. 8. Scammer: "I couldn't pick up the money because the WU control number is wrong". (RED FLAG #3! Once a scammer has the control number, he can collect the cash without an ID!!! I didn't know that before. I know now....but too late. Like a dumb ass, I sent the scammer the control number.) 9. Me to scammer: "Please let me know when Xmtr ships so I know when to expect it here. Also please send the UPS tracking number, and your phone number". Scammer: "Transmitter has been shipped, it should get to you anytime from now. Thanks" (NO UPS tracking number, and NO phone number sent.) 10: (about a week later) Me: "The transmitter has not arrived, it is long overdue. Please use the UPS tracking number and find out where it is, and advise." (Nothing heard from scammer since)

Scammer's name: (or one of them...) Leonard Chiddister
    Address provided: 15531 Lago Vila, Tomball, TX 77377 (Yes, there really is a Tomball, TX!)
    No phone # ever received, no UPS tracking # ever recieved, no ham call letters, no Xmtr ever received....the money's gone. Watch out for this guy! Thanks for your help, and for letting me post this. Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL
    It would be great if every ham that had an issue with a transaction would present the facts like you did. Well done.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Yes. Very well done AND a great education about those red flags, a couple of which I didn't know. Sorry about the scam -- here's hoping a great deal opens up for you; you deserve a happy ending.

Yep....Globe Scouts have sweet AM. Heard many of them back in the day.

Thanks for the lesson!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.