Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Fence antenna

Horse Fence antenna

If anyone has any feedback building & using one of those "horse fence" antennas, please let me know...looks fairly easy to build and install....

Thanks -

Step 1: Disconnect fence charger unit...

Seriously, from what I gather, they are pretty much just a standard dipole antenna using some of that electric fence ribbon in place of the usual wires. It shouldn't be hard to duplicate.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Should work pretty good as a beverage if it's long enough. I wouldn't want to xmit through it if you have livestock. Big difference between a shock telling the animal to stay off the fence, and an RF burn.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

From RF stick welders to RF branding irons, Thermatron is a step ahead.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Are we talking about miles of established fencing? Two ways to go I say, counterpoise with a resonant main element or electrically divided the fence and run the world's biggest dipole.
    I would also be curious as to the receive performance on LW: LF/VLF.

Jeeze, can't any of you guys at least try Googling "Horse Fence Antenna?" Try the third result from the top.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Jeeze, can't any of you guys at least try Googling "Horse Fence Antenna?" Try the third result from the top.
    Aint got time. I'm too busy trying to find out what the fuck sanquine means. (Thanks Albi)
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...ce-for-antenna

http://kf4bwg.com/ There seems to be two kinds of horse fencing of interest.

The flat braid with wires, and a round one called Electrobraid. 600' of black Electrobraid is $110.00 from Tractor Supply.

The round stuff has two strands of copper in an open helix braid woven into a poly sheath that is like a sock woven over a poly rope core. The flat stuff is 3 or four conductor. I would think an antenna like this would be strong, and maybe a little heavy.

The rhetoric for the flat one is it is broad banded, which makes sense.
    Dunno about the round stuff, but I expect it might be as well...

I bet the flat stuff should be twisted just like ladder line so it doesnt blow around in the wind.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I bet the flat stuff should be twisted just like ladder line so it doesnt blow around in the wind.
    Having some of this stuff up as horse fence, I can catagorically state that it makes no difference. It blows around no matter what.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin