Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mac and Cheese recipe I gotta try

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

New Mac and Cheese recipe I gotta try

Well, OK, it's Martha Stewart's, but it DOES sound really good. Will be trying it soon...

Martha Stewart's Perfect Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Ever since Jefferson got his macaroni machine, and possibly even before that, American home cooks have been on a quest to get it right -- we want the bouncy noodles, the creamy cheese sauce, and the crunchy cap.

If you find yourself on this quest, just listen to Martha Stewart. Her version is downright perfect, and might even be the most popular recipe in the history of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. (Omnimedia!), by their count.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

She learned how to cook it in 50 gallon batches while she was in the slammer.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Hmmmm....probaby DID stir the pot a lot.

I am preparing to make my own recipe this evening. Simple. Neat. Fast and not at all fancy. (Foo on Martha!)

2 cups elbows, cooked al dente;
    1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatos;
    cheddar to suit, both grade and quantity; I like yellow extra sharp for this;
    1 tbs "Italian" seasoning (I have McCormick on hand, but any similar mix of rosemary, basil, thyme, marjoram and oregano will suit);
    1 tbs dehydrated onion flakes (again, I have McC but any will do);

Suitable deep dish that is safe in the oven -- I use an oven-proof antique Hall's Superior mixing bowl of about three quarts that was sold by A&P in the 30s;

Put half the macraroni in the bowl, sprinkle half the onion and seasoning on top; use half of the tomatos, reserving the juice; salt and pepper lightly;
    top with as much cheese as you like (I like a lot -- my xyl likes less, but since I am the cook... );

Repeat, putting remaining elbows on top of cheese and following with other ingredients in order. Pour reserved tomato liquor over all. Cover with dense layer of grated cheese.*

Put in 350°F oven and bake for about fifty minutes.

Eat.

*I usually use grated store-brand (I know, Bill, I know...) cheddar, but also will slab a brick if that is what I have on hand when the urge hits me. Today I have both, so will use the bagged stuff.
    Last edited by W3MIV; 10-14-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

No béchamel? Might be the best part!

But yours sounds delicious, too. Especially the tomatoe. Guess I gotta try both. Last batch I made with white wine. Added a really nice touch.
    Last edited by W1GUH; 10-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Simpler yet. Extra sharp cheddar, mix in a little bit of A1 Steak Sauce to taste. That's it!

I've also added mushrooms to this simple mix. Yummy.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Cooked the elbows, got all the stuff in the bowl and was preheating the oven when the damned bottom oven element decided to rupture in a spectacular display. Lots of smoke and one pissed off cook.

Put the bowl in the microwave. Forgot there is -- uh, was -- metallic gold type on the bottom and some metallic gold scrolls on the side. Ah, well. GE builds one tough microwave!

Have no idea how long to cook it, so I treated it as a casserole on the "auto-cook" menu and we shall see.

Can't really complain about the oven. Twas built in May 1986 and has done yeoman work all these years without a single fidget. Guess I'll see if I can get a replacement element; looks like an easy replacement.

Still...

73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

It a piece of cake to replace the element. What's time consuming and expensive is replacing all the other shit you break getting to it.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I used the microwave, which was an adventure for me. I hate microwave cooking (ordinarily). Came out almost the same as it would have in the conventional oven -- took about one-third of the time. I was surprised that the cheese was browned almost in the same way as the oven, but seemed a bit "chewier" and tougher. Imagination? Could very well be; I have one.

As for the element, I shall not get into it until tomorrow. Looks to be simple enough; seems I can get the element out and deal with its wiring without removing the unit from the wall.

This house KNOWS that I am planning to sell it come spring.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

I'm glad it all came out cheesy peasy in the end, and you got your CHEESE. :)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman