Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: France bans ketchup in cafeterias

France bans ketchup in cafeterias

Yes, those whacky connoisseurs of fine cuisine have banned school cafeterias from serving the condiment ketchup.

With one exception: It can still be used with... French Fries.
    (Yes, I know they're named after the chef, not the country)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-france-ketchup-20111006,0,1095831.story?track=rss
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I think its a good move. First and foremost the use of ketchup on good food is disgusting. Only the most barbaric and uncouth would pour ketchup on good food. Secondly, it dilutes France's culture of fine cuisine by introducing cheap American fast food trends which are best avoided. Lastly, it's bad nutrition as ketchup is used to mask the poor quality of cheap fast foods, something that should be shunned in France.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Ketchup, soon to be dubbed "Freedom Sauce" here in the US.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I think its a good move. First and foremost the use of ketchup on good food is disgusting. Only the most barbaric and uncouth would pour ketchup on good food.
    My name is Trey and I fully support this sentiment. Hope Catsup is next.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Ketchup, soon to be dubbed "Freedom Sauce" here in the US.
    Yes! ... and it's consumption doubled here just to show those stupid fucking Frenchies they don't know shit.

Fries are better when they're called chips and smothered in malt vinegar and salt anyway.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    Fries are better when they're called chips and smothered in malt vinegar and salt anyway.
    Especially when it's served with battered, deep-fried fish and one of those beverages featured in your avatar photo.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I'll go along with the beverage, but I don't eat fish. Never cared for it.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I think its a good move. First and foremost the use of ketchup on good food is disgusting. Only the most barbaric and uncouth would pour ketchup on good food. Secondly, it dilutes France's culture of fine cuisine by introducing cheap American fast food trends which are best avoided. Lastly, it's bad nutrition as ketchup is used to mask the poor quality of cheap fast foods, something that should be shunned in France.
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, If not it looks like we actually agree on something. Saying that ketchup is very poor nutritionally is an understatement. Especially when you consider the fact that each teaspoon of Ketchup contains at least a teaspoon of sugar..

This post brings me to an interesting story. Back when times where more prosperous I used to host a big New Years eve party. It was an annual event where I would invite many of my close friends and employees.

During the peak of these parties I was roasting as many as 6 or 7 full 7 bone prime rib roasts. These would be seared over a very hot mesquite fire and then slow roasted in my offset trailerable BBQ pit at about 190 degrees over a hardwood fire that had been burned down to coals.

Prime Rib is very sensitive to smoke and I learned the hard way that you don't want to BBQ prime rib as you would traditional BBQ meats such as ribs or pulled pork. I also learned that you never want to see any visible smoke coming from the stack when BBQing smoke sensitive cuts such as prime rib and brisket. What I learned to do is look for an extremely faint thin blue smoke that can only be seen by shining a very bright flashlight up into the flow of air coming out of the top of the stack...

Anyhow back to the story. One year the unthinkable happened, I had invited a new employee who had brought his wife. Now as my wife served them the lady asked if we had any ketchup the room went deftly quite as everyone stopped eating and glared at her with looks of shock on their faces including her husband :shock:

Personally I was ready to take her plate and show her the door, But a very stern unapproving glare from my wife convinced me that I had better not. So as I glared back at my wife for being such a ball buster I politely informed our guest that we didn't have any ketchup on hand. She said O-Well no big deal, got any A1 ? ARGGGG Again I politely informed this barbarian that I never kept A1 sauce on hand. In fact the one and only time I have ever used A1 was at Denny's when I had the unfortunate displeasure of ordering one of their disgusting T-bone steak and egg breakfasts. I have to admit the only thing that made that steak palatable was the A1

At that point it looks as though her prime rib dinner had been spared the humiliation and disgrace of being doctored by a hack.

Then to the shock of myself and all my guests she opened up her purse and proceed to pull out a huge hand full of McDonald ketchup packages which she then barbarically used to completely smother every inch of a gorgeous, very expensive dry aged, plate of king cut prime rim which had been slow roasted to perfection. In the eyes of my guests and myself It was the equivalent of doctoring a van Gogh or a da Vinci with a crayon

Anyhow needless to say, my friends and I had plans for revenge at next year party Instead of serving her prime rib like everyone else I had prepared her a nice plate of steamed turkey dogs accompanied by a side of dollar store mac and cheese Once again my wife's strong objections prevented my friends and I from carrying out our plans.

As you can guess once again she smothered her prime rib dinner with mounds of cheap ketchup which she continued to do every year until the downturn in the economy forced us to sell our large towable BBQ pit and sadly put an end to our large annual New Years Eve party.

Unfortunate Now days I can barely afford Prime rib on New Years for my family and maybe one or two close friends and at that I have to save all year to pay for it. Long gone is the expensive dry aged prime rib that I had to special order months in advance.

Nowadays all I can afford is the cheap prime rib from Costco and even thats becoming so expensive that I might have to substitute our once a year Prime rib dinner party with a New Years Turkey dinner party. Unfortunately I fear that once Turkey becomes to expensive the only thing left will be Soylent Green ;)
    Last edited by N6YG; 10-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    I don't always eat fries, but when I do,I prefer tartar sauce with fries with a smattering of cocktail sauce.