Thread: Sewing Machine Spider

Sewing Machine Spider

This one built her web last night in the corner of my car port. Interesting spider, also called a writing spider, or a garden spider. Quite harmless. The picture turned out pretty decent ... no flash, about 6" away from the spider using the old F-717 Sony.

dsc05993-cropped.jpg <- click for larger image!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Those are excellent cameras. The place I used to work was going to toss two of them because they weren't working, and they were given to me. I took them home, and a few months later my kid tells me he found out that Sony had a recall for a CCD problem with the units. I sent them in, ande both were fixed under warranty. For his effort, I gave the kid one of them. We recently sold them to get better cameras, but we sure used the hell out them. Although it sometimes made for a noisy photo, the night mode was fun to use.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Haven't seen a garden spider of any size around here in a long time. They used to be quite common hereabouts, and they would get quite large -- abdomen about an inch and a-half or so. They would often build their orbs across walkways and paths, and it was common to walk into them at night.

I believe the huge population of birds pestering my area -- especially robins (eat dirt and die, Rachel Carson!) has taken its toll on the spiders. We still have a fair population of brown orb-weavers (we call them "dock spiders" since they are so often found haunting piers in marinas), but damned few of the big, yellow and black garden arachnids.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    (eat dirt and die, Rachel Carson!)
    DDT in every pot.