Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antenna Installation - Take 1

Antenna Installation - Take 1

Okay, today I tried the twirl and toss method of getting the line way up over the tree. But it didn't quite work. Got it tangled a few times and got it to bounce off my neighbors roof.

So now we go to the next method... The slingshot maneuver.

If that fails then... "I shoot an arrow in the aire".
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    Use a model rocket... More funner :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Ever think about trying one of your RC helicopters?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Use the model rocket, but limit the distance it can travel. Tie a string to the rocket and attach the other end to your knuts, allow for 3 feet longer than the distance needed to get over the limb. Make that 2 1/2 feet, you'll know what I mean. Go for throttle up..............
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Ever think about trying one of your RC helicopters?
    Been flying model helicopters for quite sometime, I started back when we had to scratch build our own which required a lot of machine work. Which by the way is how I learned how I learned to use a mill and lathe.

I was also a factory sponsored pilot for a few years doing demos and such at air shows. I don't know if you were joking but even for someone as experienced as I trying to fly a line over the top of a tall tree would not only be extremely difficult it would be very dangerous. can you imagine what would happened if that line snagged. On the other hand I used to practice inverted flight by using a model helicopter to blow leaves on my driveway and lawn.

Anyhow I have tried many ways of getting lines over tall trees and nothing seems to work as easily and safely as a pneumatic tennis ball launcher. I've built quite a few of them, unfortunately some ham always comes along and offers me a ridiculous sum of money for them so I always end up selling them and never seem to have one on had when I need it.

Of all the methods I have used the sling shot seems to be the most dangerous. It's been my experience that its really only useful on very calm days. If you try and launch a line on a windy day more often then not the light weight fishing line tangles on the sling shot arms which usually results in the weight either not traveling far or rebounding back at the shooters face. More often then not it misses the shooter but that one time it hits you is enough to sour you on using them. At the vary least I highly recommend wearing safety goggles.

Anyhow the whole point of this post is to strongly recommend wearing safety goggles when using a sling shot to launch lines. This advice went unheeded by an arrogant ham last field day. The unfortunate result was a trip to the emergency room with a serious eye injury. So if you plan on using a sling shot please wear safety goggles.
    Last edited by N6YG; 10-01-2011 at 01:06 AM.

I was kidding about using the RC helicopter. As for lines getting tangled in the sling shot, the trick there is to hold the slingshot upside down.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I built a launcher from a kit at http://www.akbeng.com/products/anten...sv19-launcher/

It absolutely ROCKS. Now the only reason my loop isn't back up is laziness... and frequent fall color drives with the Miata.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Kid Monkey isn't a rapper, he's an expendable baby brother. There are other things you can attach to his harness besides a leash.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Okay, today I tried the twirl and toss method of getting the line way up over the tree. But it didn't quite work. Got it tangled a few times and got it to bounce off my neighbors roof.

So now we go to the next method... The slingshot maneuver.

If that fails then... "I shoot an arrow in the aire".
    Don't shoot yer eye out kid.