Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended - Ultra Edit and Beyond Compare

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Recommended - Ultra Edit and Beyond Compare

Use those two at work all the time.

Ultra Edit is a text editor that's easy to use and has a small footprint. Come with a free trial and it's not that expensive. Use it here a lot for c/c++ code, it's also a great way to make/edit random .txt and .bat files. Has a lot of useful features.

Beyond Compare is also easy to use and has a small footprint. It, too, comes with a free trial and it's not that expensive. Use it all the time to merge new code into an existing build. It's also outsanding for backing up files (it'll compare a whole folder) and sync'ing folders. There a great and intuitive gui showing two folders and what's in each, and copying the files is EASY!

OTOH...it's very name is a bad pun! Bad sign?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Another free, and very good text editor with a relatively small footprint, capable of handling large text files, is EditPad Lite. I been using it on my Windows installations for quite a while. It also converts text files to/from the DOS (Windows) format to/from the Unix format.

http://www.editpadlite.com/
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

I use BBEdit myself, great for doing HTML work. There's a feature-limited free version as well, TextWrangler.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    I'm hooked on Notepad++ for my text editor (Or, vi, if it's available).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I'm hooked on Notepad++ for my text editor (Or, vi, if it's available).
    What, you don't run the MS-DOS editor in DosBox?
    It sports a pretty, blue screen ...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    It sports a pretty, blue screen ...
    So does Windows a lot of the time...

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

copy con:autoexec.bat
    path=c:\;c:\bin'c:\utils'c:\dos
    prompt=[ $p $b $d ]>>
    ^Z

1 File Copied

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I haven't seen the blue screen of death since running XP. XP is pretty solid, despite some security issues.

At least my programs runs in windows, without having to worry about OS variants, libraries, packages, etc..
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    I haven't seen the blue screen of death since running XP. XP is pretty solid, despite some security issues.

At least my programs runs in windows, without having to worry about OS variants, libraries, packages, etc..
    ;)
    Blame the OS for poor package management? I've installed garbage software in Windows operating systems before ... missing DLL's, non-existent paths, etc. Damn Windows OS must be a POS, right? Wanna discuss registry errors, or "Windows Genuine Advantage" problems?

Change a motherboard on a Windows XP machine. Use the same processor. Use the same model of MB. You will spend a minimum of 30 minutes on the phone with this compassionate corporation trying to convine them that you're not a thief.

I'll take "poor package management" for $0, Alex.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post

;)
    That all depends on the installer package, now doesn't it...

You've never had to install .NET Framework version X?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com