Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creative scamming...

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Creative scamming...

Traffic light camera scam steals your identity

Depressing the people actually fall for this.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Traffic light camera scam steals your identity

Depressing the people actually fall for this.
    Some people believe anything told to them, especially when the voice on the phone identifies themselves as being in A Position Of Authority, and has the voice skills to pull it off convincingly.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Years ago, when I was still married to YF1, we bought something at a small store up in the Strip District (no, it's named that because it's the strip of land between the old PRR main line and the Allegheny River, and you have a dirty mind, but never mind that). Paid by check.

About a week later, we get a call from someone claiming to be from the store (no, we couldn't verify, this was before Caller ID). Sob story ensued. I don't recall all the details, but the essence was that a thief had stolen some cash and destroyed the checks, so could we be troubled to stop payment on our check and send them a new one?

It didn't make sense. The receipt only had a name on it... my name, the phone was in YF1's name (and she didn't change it when we married). So if the check was destroyed, how did they get my phone number? (Remember, my name wasn't in the phone book!)

Checked with the bank, and the "missing" check had been cashed the day before. So the story didn't add up. I never sent them another penny, figured if this was for real, we'd hear from them again. Never have, to this day, but I have to wonder how many people got suckered into sending someone $$$?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

I am surprised people fall for this. First and foremost, the red light cams don't need to ask who you are. they have already captured your plate number and cross referenced it against the DMV database. So they already know who you are and where you live. The actual collection of fee's is collected by a third party contracted to handle the operation. You are contacted in the mail and also given reference to a website where you can view still pictures and video of your car going through the red light. You can pay the fine via a check by standard mail or via credit card via the website. At no time does a police officer contact you, much less threaten with you. About the only threat made is that failure to pay may add negative points to your license.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I got a call just before the '84 Olympics. Guy said he had tickets for sale; all he needed was my credit card number. I didn't have a credit card then...asked who was calling and the dude hung up immediately.

You all see the story about the parking attendant who stood outside of an office building for over 10 years every day collecting $5 from each car that passed by? The problem was, the lot was free. The guy died one day and the regular lot users were concerned that there was no one to pay, so they called around to find out what they should do -- that's when they discovered they had been hussled for $5 each day for 10 years. Now that's what I call awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    I got a call just before the '84 Olympics. Guy said he had tickets for sale; all he needed was my credit card number. I didn't have a credit card then...asked who was calling and the dude hung up immediately.
    It was "Peggy". ;)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    You all see the story about the parking attendant who stood outside of an office building for over 10 years every day collecting $5 from each car that passed by? The problem was, the lot was free. The guy died one day and the regular lot users were concerned that there was no one to pay, so they called around to find out what they should do -- that's when they discovered they had been hussled for $5 each day for 10 years. Now that's what I call awesome.
    I got suckered with a very mild variant of that one 2 years ago.

The WACOM hamfest was issuing vendor tags on red ICOM lanyards. Nice way to know who the vendors are (and who's actually paid).

At the end of the 'fest, a ham walked around and asked the remaining vendors if they could turn in the lanyards. Since I still had one for the year before, I didn't think twice about it.

Only he wasn't a member of WACOM, let alone on the hamfest committee. He just let everyone THINK he was.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him at last year's WACOM hamfest...

(and no... his name may be Mud, but it's not Peggy!)

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    It was "Peggy". ;)
    Transfer

I heard a variant of this from a cop. Seems there was a building where a lot of middle and upper middle class kids would come to buy drugs. So, one day a couple guys show up and stand in front of the place and they tell the perspective customers to line up and give them their money and they go in and get the drugs. After they collected enough money from people who fell for it they make a quick phonecall to the cops to report drug sales at that location, hop in a car and drive away with the money. The would be buyers are left with no money and no merchandise, the cops show up and they scatter and the scammers pocket the cash. Only problem is that it was a one time scam. If the scammers were to show up there again the real dealers would probably kill them.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.