Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass player noob

Bass player noob

Bwaaaa...Been thinking about this for a while so I broke down a dropped a few bucks on an Ibanez AEB5E. I am having more fun with damn thing. Just walking the frets quarter time shit for finger excecise. I took piano as a kid so reading notes is a strech right now, but a little bit is coming back. Pinky is real weak and a me overall fingers are a bit spazzy.

I know we have some serious thumpers round here..this is huge fun. Got me a Victor Wooten Groove Workshop DVD and I pretend like a know WTF. I'm working on a funk version of Twinkle Twinke Little Star...

I figure in 5 years I'll still suck, but this could be my instrument.

rot
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Woot!
    We have a rather surprising number of bass players here on the island.
    Those Ibanez basses are fantastic first guitars. I like them because the necks are rather slender for a bass (even the fivers), very comfortable.
    I still own one that I purchased new around 1987-88 or so and love it... sort of my "go to" guitar and usually sits on a stand right in between this computer and a keys/synth It is almost always plugged into the machine, with headphones hangin' on it, ready for action. The only real mods have been a Hip-shot D tuner, and I replaced the pickups with nice passive Bartonlini's (P/J) after some idiot let loose with a chemical fire extinguisher in a bar one night. If you've never seen what one of those things will do to electronics, whoa, not pretty.

You did good, Terry! That guitar will last you forever if you want it too, and its probably going to keep making you grin just as long.

Here's a pic of the south wall of my man cave, the radios and the computers are on the north wall.
    The Ibanez is the cherry red bass on the far right. That is a 6string Alvarez bass just to the left of it. Another good find for me.
    man cave (south wall).jpg

Thought I'd throw in a radio station (partial/ north wall) pic just because this is IOMH.
    man cave (north wall).jpg

Keep on thumpin' bro!

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

FREEBIRD!

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I was checking out a LosLonelyBoys vid and the bass player was working one of the 6 string jobs. First one I'd ever seen. The dude was cooking. I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna be hitting those streches for quite a while. You old timers got to have some strong fingers, I guarentee. Funny as hell, I'm always checking out the bass players these days...
    Love the man cave and the shack there Trey...sweet.
    Way to much fun...
    rot
    N.Young

Third base.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I think theres a cosmic link between bass and ham radio....Tim Gaines, Stu Cook, many of us here. Were usually the nicest guys in the band too!

The best way to get that pinkie strong is to use it. I know that is usually followed by "well, duh!", but its true. At first, the hand will be using every muscle as it doesnt know what you want it to do, but after a little while, it will use only what it needs and it will get better and more comfortable. Bass is a thrill to this day, i am going to work in a few hours and after 33 years, im still looking forward to it.

By the way, not that i can really afford it, but i saw a Carvin Bunny Brunell signature fretless 5-string in the guitar shop the other day and knew it needed to come home with me. It may be causing undue stress in the bills department, but we will manage...it was used so it was 1/3 of the original price! I just couldnt walk away...like a smarter man would.

Resistance is futile.....must have! Way to go Rotley. I bought the 5 string Carvin fretless back in March. It is not a signature series, but meets all of my present needs. I found a Carvin bass amp as well. I really have alot of fun with the whammy pedal. I don't think Tool will be looking me up but I have fun. I have had to rearrange stuff that hangs on the wall. The first day I had it, I turned the volume up to 1 (of 10), gave the B string a pop, and several pictures fell off the walls.
    Have fun!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

What are the odds?

I just never see Carvins in store, you always have to custom order them. This one has the Hipshot on the B string (for what, i dont know, im taking it off and putting it on one of my Jazz basses), and 2 battery ports on the back. I hate being tied to a 9 volt, but for that price, ill just live with it.

By the way, Welcome to the club, Rots!

My 5 string only has a battery for the active pickups. The passive side needs no battery. I have read several reviews on the j Worrel hums that were thrown in the deal. One writer said the new hums made his "dead" jazzbass come back to life. I have the wiring diagram from Carvin. I am happy with the passive mode. I think I will leave it alone for now.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Bwaaa...Fun is the name of the game....I took piano and played the clarinet in the school days...but hated the shit. Always loved music but absolutely hated to practice and stuff. Now I can dick around for hour or so with this bad boy..no problem...time flyies by...huge grins. I guess it took 40 years to find my groove. The wifey has an old 6 string she used to play and now she has been revisiting some of her old strumming stuff. We might try a small collaboration...she sings like Ethyl Merman...but WTF.

Plug me in to something!!!!
    Tonnage o' funnage here.
    rot
    N.Young