Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some shots with my new toy.

I like the lightning shots and the the sun rise/set is nice too.

Thanks George. Im just learning how to do the proper settings and open exposure stuff...not as easy as i thought it would be, but a lot of fun to see if the shot turned out. Kind of like gambling, but without the remorse or the 12 step program.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Thanks George. Im just learning how to do the proper settings and open exposure stuff...not as easy as i thought it would be, but a lot of fun to see if the shot turned out. Kind of like gambling, but without the remorse or the 12 step program.
    I remember trying different things with my 35MM SLR film camera, then dropping the rolls of a Photomat to be processed.

Me too, im so happy for the creation of digital photography...i've deleted a bunch of shaky shots, shots of my foot, hundreds of shots of clouds without the lightning, etc...i really have to hand it to the old schoolers who waited until that perfect shot because film was money!

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Me too, im so happy for the creation of digital photography...i've deleted a bunch of shaky shots, shots of my foot, hundreds of shots of clouds without the lightning, etc...i really have to hand it to the old schoolers who waited until that perfect shot because film was money!
    I used a system called it bracketing/cheating . Take the shot, then another 2 stops under, then one stop under, then 2 stops over, then 1 stop over. 5 shots and and you were pretty sure one was right on. With low light stuff, I left the aperture in one spot, then took a few shots using different shutter speeds. It got pretty expensive, but what the hell, if you wanted the perfect shot it was worth it.
    I took this one around 10PM with an old Pentax K1000
    gloucester park.jpg

Nice mix of color. I like those types of pictures.

My dad thought he was a good photographer when i was a kid, so he spent a bunch of money on equipment that i ended up using. A lot of 35mm stuff on his dime, why not? I learned how to "see" a shot...i just never locked into the mathmatics of the gear and thus, never realized the true potential of the equipment. Thats a shame because i got some cool shots of bears (we lived in AK), mountains, etc. This time around, i am going to get some classes in, read some books and ask questions. I have a LOT of friends who are actual pro photographers so i have some good resources...i wont make that same mistake. :)

How did I miss thread? Coolness.
    I should do a scan of some of my old filum shots with the shutter open. Spooky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    I used a system called it bracketing/cheating . Take the shot, then another 2 stops under, then one stop under, then 2 stops over, then 1 stop over. 5 shots and and you were pretty sure one was right on. With low light stuff, I left the aperture in one spot, then took a few shots using different shutter speeds. It got pretty expensive, but what the hell, if you wanted the perfect shot it was worth it.
    I took this one around 10PM with an old Pentax K1000
    gloucester park.jpg
    Love the old Pentax equipment. Still have three ME/Super bodies, every kind of lens, teleconverter, autowinders, Cokin special effect lens, and on and on. My wife and I used to shoot 35mm slides all the time. Film and processing was free at the TV station I worked for. Just had to cut and mount. It was nice being able to shoot a whole roll trying to get that "one" photo. DSLR is really nice and convenient, but sometimes I miss the old shutter days.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Here are 3 pages of old scenery stuff. Most was done with the 35 mm pentax then scanned.
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579419619tXwVLw