Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HRD apparently sold to CSS Corp

HRD apparently sold to CSS Corp

Final negotiations supposedly underway.

If this software becomes payware there could be a gap for another free radio-management package opening soon...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

IIRC, HRD uses a number of FOSS elements that are distributed under the GNU Public License. If the new owners decide to turn it into commercial software, I wonder how they will work that out.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Time will tell. I recently updated my 5.0 "beta". But I really only use the DM780 portion on my Flex 3000.

Sometimes paying a little bit for software is OK. I recently actually purchased anti-virus software from G-Data.

G-Data runs without the latency issues I got from the (free) Avast and Panda software. It was only $30 for a year.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

MultiPSK still works flawlessly, as long as you can take the visual stimulation. As great a program as Simon's HRD is, I always found it a little resource heavy on my underpowered PC's and actually preferred to use the older pre DM780 versions.
    Whatever happens, I wish whomever well with what had fast become a legendary tool for AR.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Final negotiations supposedly underway.

If this software becomes payware there could be a gap for another free radio-management package opening soon...
    FLDigi does a fine job at rig control.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I've played with FLDigi, thought it was OK. Prefer DM780 for the "digital modes".

Use PowerSDR for rig control window on the Flex, but I use all of HRD with the TS-850 and the FT-857. I've donated before, it's been a while. So I'll wait and see, but I will buy it if it's reasonable.

Hell, I keep my "subscription" up to date win N4PY, and the Ten Tec Pegasus has been off for months. Though his software works well with the TS850 and the Pegasus at the same time, so it's really fun to play with SO2R. Kind of unique that way.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 09-13-2011 at 07:25 PM.

I was looking at HRD for some control functions on the TS-480 when I had it, and on the Omni VI+ now. I'm still not sure if that's the app for me to use, but I am sorry to hear that it is moving into other hands. Sometimes that works well, sometimes it doesn't. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I've been using the web-based version of Pathfinder for quite some time, and I've been considering not just the installed version, but the related suite of freeware apps. There's a lot there, and you can mix & match as required, but I've been proceeding cautiously on that score. Part of the issue is that I've found a technical problem with the built-in sound card on the Compaq Evo D300 that's the shack computer, so either I have to install another sound card (and I have a few Soundblasters scavenged from scrapped machines, so that's not a problem) or move the rig control functions completely over to one of the laptops. That ought to be the easy answer, but the laptops, being older and slower, have their own disadvantages. So we'll see.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm really happy to have left the sound card issues behind me by using the Flex 3000 over Firewire. It has it's own set of headaches and hiccups, but it works so much better than using soundcards (and I have some good ones), especially with the addition of the Virtual Audio Cable software.

I've used MultiPSK a lot, and will again... mostly for Utility Shortwave Listening. I've never used it in a QSO... transmitted with it to a dummy load testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I'm really happy to have left the sound card issues behind me by using the Flex 3000 over Firewire. It has it's own set of headaches and hiccups, but it works so much better than using soundcards (and I have some good ones), especially with the addition of the Virtual Audio Cable software.

I've used MultiPSK a lot, and will again... mostly for Utility Shortwave Listening. I've never used it in a QSO... transmitted with it to a dummy load testing it.
    Not having the shekels for a Flex 3000, or any new radio for that matter, at this point in time makes this a moot point!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Getting back on point... there's an interesting news thread over yonder off shore on the very subject in question.

The official announcement hasn't been made yet, but it's interesting (and amusing) to see how many are getting their panties in a wad, all based on speculation and second guessing and finger pointing. The new owners are being taken to task for what they are obviously going to do... when they haven't said a damned thing about it yet.

Where's the again?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!