Thread: CB magazines of days gone past

CB magazines of days gone past

Anyone remember "S9" and "CB" Magazines?

There's a neat site featuring scanned-in copies of many of the issues. Looking through these, I remember reading the issues "in paper". (I also used to get a number of SWL/Ute/Ham publications every month, most of which were picked up by my mother during shopping trips.)

An excerpt from February '79 S9 Magazine:

S9 CB Magazine 1979 February Page 9 (Custom).jpg

http://cbradiomagazine.com/S9%20CB%2...20COVER-20.htm

My friend Hank (ex-KA8RZT; now an SK) had one of the CPI setups. Great radio. I like the "old school" rigs (especially those with adequate filtering) and have a few on the to-get list. The -2000 is definitely on my short list.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

During the 80s I read Science 80 (81-82-83-84 etc) and VW mod magazines. Then in the mid 90s I picked up with Pop Comm, QST, Popular Electronics, etc.

Banned
    I have every issue of S-9 from 1966 to 1970, which was the golden years of the Citizens Band Radio.

Call signs, legal radio's, good stuff like Brownings and Trams and Courier and even a couple of full page ad's for the Lafayette Comstat 25A every month.
    Allied Radio always had something good in their catalog and even if you couldn't afford it, you could buy it in a kit and put it together and if it didn't work, for a couple of dollars you could send it back and they would fix it for you.

You won't see anything like that ever again in my lifetime!

Once upon a time there was the Newark (NJ) Evening News that ran an SWL column and I was a member of the Newark News Radio Club (NNRC). Then I was licensed KMD7606 in 1965 and subscribed to Asinine... er... S9 which was pretty cool at the time. Oh yeah, between the Courier 23A and the Comsat series channels 22A and 22B became rather popular.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Once upon a time there was the Newark (NJ) Evening News that ran an SWL column and I was a member of the Newark News Radio Club (NNRC). Then I was licensed KMD7606 in 1965 and subscribed to Asinine... er... S9 which was pretty cool at the time. Oh yeah, between the Courier 23A and the Comsat series channels 22A and 22B became rather popular.
    My dad loved the Newark News, and never cared for the Newark Star-Ledger. Sadly, a strike did the News in, and left us with little choice.

Same thing happened a few years back here in Pittsburgh. The afternoon Pittsburgh Press was in the process of forcing the inferior morning paper, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, out of business, especially once it's "early afternoon" edition started hitting the streets at 10 AM. Then came a strike over the paper's decision to phase out kids as paper boys (or girls) and replace them with (non-unionized) contractors. About a year later, the strike was settled when the P-G bought out & shut down the Press... and replaced all the paper boys (or girls) with (non-unionized) contractors.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Yup, when the News folded the club went with it. Our paper however was the Elizabeth Star Ledger which eventually folded too but before it did Tom Kennedy was our paperboy, later to become Mayor of Rahway before Rick Proctor the present Mayor. FYI the Newark Star Ledger is still around minus the Newark, could be they're trying to disassociate the awful reputation the city acquired. Yeah I know, buy 'em out to shut them down and bust the union, it's the American way, Capitalism at its finest. That's how we lost WERA Radio 1590 to WWRL 1600 when they upped power and now cause more splatter than ever, neat way to avoid FCC complaints, eh wot?

I don't know what any of this has to do with CB but I'll say one thing, I sure miss the days of metal boxes stuffed with tubes made in the good old USA. Days of wine and roses? Nah, play the sound clip.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    During the 70's I read I believe modern electronics and ofcourse my dad's hidden copies of Oui and Hustler.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Daddy Bunneh didn't hide them very well. (;->)
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA