Thread: DX from South America coming in tonight.

Banned

DX from South America coming in tonight.

10 meters was dead tonight and so I connected the old General Electric 23 channel CB up to the antenna and was turning the knob and came across some interesting conversations on the 11 meters.

I don't know if they were running a lot of power or if the storm was bringing their signals into my location, but I sat and listened to them talk for about a half a hour - waiting for the 10 meters to open back up. It never did here in Pennsylvania.

8/26/11

Happy Birthday to ME!

Condx were like that as well for me on Tuesday evening. Got a new (to me) IC-R70 in the mail that afternoon and promptly put it to work in the 26-28MHz region. It was fairly active with signals, and the Mexican trucker channel (Ch5) was roaring with life like our old Ch19 used to "...back in the day...".

As I indicated elsewhere, not a peep on 10 that evening. Would have been nice to put some XEs in the log.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Last weekend the VHF DX was excellent.
    I was hearing repeaters from your neck of the woods on our local frequencies.
    I didn't listen long enough to recognize the actual repeater - or else I would have changed the PL in my radio and tried it.

N8YX - did you get any contacts on the 10 meters this weekend?
    I had to work a marathon Saturday and one of the tech's drove his personal vehicle with multiple radios in it and he said he heard some skip coming in Saturday afternoon a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    N8YX - did you get any contacts on the 10 meters this weekend?
    I had to work a marathon Saturday and one of the tech's drove his personal vehicle with multiple radios in it and he said he heard some skip coming in Saturday afternoon a couple of times.
    A couple of the locals did - well into Sunday morning - but I was up to my neck in vehicle projects and didn't have much time for radio. Need a better antenna, regardless - they're hearing stuff which I am not.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Just one of those Gruesome Stringbean things, 57 Channels And Nothing On. That is to say if anyone was listening they weren't saying anything, no CQ Serenade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
    http://www.angelfire.com/planet/amat..._Serenade.html

11M makes a pretty good beacon band but otherwise about all that's to be heard is the usual juke box smash, number one with a bullshit by C.B. McNocall and the Freebanders, Screamin, Squallin' 'n Wall To Wall Caterwallin'. (Goodness gracious my rig's on fire!)

Thank you Mrs. Tirebiter.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

That's why I tend to jump into the CW beacon area on 10 and look with the panadapter mode with the Flex.

I need to hook up my Johnson again, just because I can.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

When your done with your Johnson, give 10 a try.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL