Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here with a FT 2000 D experience?

Anyone here with a FT 2000 D experience?

I can get my hands on a Yaesu Ft 2000 D including latest software and 1 year warranty, 2 years old.

Since my main radio now is the Ft 847 with Collins filters ( 2.4 KHz) that will be a rather radical change after 12 years.

I know the reciever is better, the 200 watt on 6 a bonus ( no 6 meter P.A. here, just SB - 1000) but it is always good to hear from people that actually work the beast.

Anything i need to check out? your experiences? yes, i did read the eham.net reviews with a grain of salt....
    No contesting here, just the SSB chats, some DX on 160 with the inverted L and all other bands with the several dipole's/verticals.
    6 Meter a 5 element beam.

Listening for your idea's and input please.

;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

IIRC, an area ham (AC6EA) who is also a member of this board has played around with one. I'll talk to Steve tonight on 10M and ask him to post his impressions of the rig.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Cheers, appreciated ;)
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    Here is my impression, it is not a very good radio.
    It's receive sucks and it's transmit is not much better.

You can spend a whole bunch of money trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear or you can buy a really good radio - although almost no other radio in it's price range does HF and 2 meters.

Two highest rated radios right now are the Kenwood TS 480 and 590.
    I priced both of them today from AES and the 480 is under $1000.00 and the 590 was under $1500.00

Since the rate of exchange - American money to Japanese money is not good right now, and since the Japan tragedy - their retail price of anything electronic has gone up 33%.

The bottom line is - unless you really need a new radio, now is not the time to buy a new radio.

If all you want is to have a new radio - I would keep my eyes open for a used radio.
    They are out there - although some of them are selling - artificially inflated price - for as much as a brand new one with a warranty.

You can pretty much tell which sellers are genuine and which ones are professional sellers on Flea Bay.
    The professional sellers - gets their buddies and their sock puppets to bid up the price, and unless some sucker bids on it - it doesn't sell and is re listed a week later for the same price again.

The bottom line is - as the Robot would say on Lost In Space - Warning, Warning, Danger, Danger - don't buy the TS 2000 - it's a piece of crap!

I believe there is an experienced owner of the TS 480 (on the Island) that will tell you that compared to everything else out there, it's as deaf as a doorknob.

I was not looking for a TS 2000 but the Yaesu FT 2000 D ;)
    2 yearss old, for just over 1/2 the new price here, no need for the Kenwood TS 2000, the Ft 847 with collins filters already does better as that one.

So, looking for a H.F./6 meter rig, the FT 2000 D from Yaesu looks to be a good middle class radio, for 2/70 i have the FT 100 and a FT 847 spare.

Bloody same numbers between brands, who would not be miffed

I've had my 2000D for about 2 years. It is one of the later models with the PEP updates which make a big difference in the receiver. I have very marginal antennas here because of HOA restrictions so I obviously don't have much of an overload problem with the receiver. I mess around in the contests a bit and I can't find a thing wrong with it.

I do a lot of listening and comparing with my other rigs which are an ICOM PRO III and a Ten Tec Orion. they all seem to be in the same ball park to me. From a user standpoint, the FT-2000 is a little more difficult to get used to as far as the receiver's bells and whistles go, but once you get used to "tweaking" it, it is right up there with the best of them. FWIW the most selective receiver I have ever played with was the FLEX 5000A, but I just couldn't get used to using a mouse for controlling a receiver. I guess you could say I just like KNOBS better.

Quote Originally Posted by K9XR View Post
    I guess you could say I just like KNOBS
    As do we all, my friend.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Especially the chocolate ones in one of the BD threads.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Yep, we DO love to twirl knobs do we ;)
    Except for the inverted L and OCF my antennna's are ballpark stuff, no contests here, so it looks i don't need the AC0C filter.
    I DO know how the IPO and attenuater work ;)
    Europe is always quite busy though, large signals and all that...
    Thanks for the input

;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 08-23-2011 at 05:30 AM.