Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google To Buy Motorola Mobility

Google To Buy Motorola Mobility

Google has announced the purchase of the cell-phone part of Motorola (split as a separate company a year or two ago)

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8307020
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

More Monopoly in high gear. Milton Bradley would be proud
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    More Monopoly in high gear. Milton Bradley would be proud
    There are a whole lot of phone manufacturers out there. Owning the lateral markets (OS, Hardware) is hardly a monopoly. Unless you consider Apple to be a monopoly?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

True, but seeing all the big names buying everything they can get their hands always brings the board game to mind. Same thing is happening to patents and other intellectual property. The big names are buying up all they can in order to stifle (spelled SUE) the other big, and small, players. I still don't understand how one can patent many of these things. Copyright yes. NPR had a great piece on these a couple of weeks ago. If you have time, give a listen.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=441
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    True, but seeing all the big names buying everything they can get their hands always brings the board game to mind. Same thing is happening to patents and other intellectual property. The big names are buying up all they can in order to stifle (spelled SUE) the other big, and small, players. I still don't understand how one can patent many of these things. Copyright yes. NPR had a great piece on these a couple of weeks ago. If you have time, give a listen.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=441
    I already listened :) 2 weeks ago

I agree. Google tends to abide by their "Do no evil" mantra as far as patents. They obtain patents to use defensively in lawsuits.

Consider the catfish, call the corporations what you like but when it comes to sheer greed eating everything in sight there are few like the catfish. The environment is the only limiting factor, the larger the body of water and the more food is available the bigger it gets. Try this yourself to see it with your own eyes. I had one in an aquarium with other fish and fed them small worms but the cat was so greedy it snatched most of them from the others. This continued until it was so swollen it looked like a football with fins but still it gobbled every worm until it's belly could hold no more and its mouth was full, yet it continued until it choked to death.

So what's the moral of the story? I can't say for sure but considering the environment Google may eventually eat the whole world and choke on it.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Here's an interesting take on Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    If this sounds as penny wise and pound foolish as Michelle Bachman saying the US can’t afford to extend unemployment benefits while she collects more than a million dollars a year from Medicare payments, farm subsidies and wages on the Federal dime, then yes, you must be of at least moderate intelligence.
    HAAH!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Google’s Android is facing some core problems, but to its fans, things are awesome. At the lowest level, Android incorporates Linux, the “most devotedly open” OS kernel. Companies run by smart people avoid Linux and its GPL religion because such fantasy-ideology is toxic to progress (and profits).
    I'll make sure I tell the largest internet presences on the internet that LAMP is in no way the right way to run things. This will be a game changer for:
    * Google
    * Facebook
    * Craigslist
    * PriceGrabber
    * Yahoo!

All of these companies are doing it wrong! They should be RUNNING AWAY from a LAMP stack...

I hate it when business folks try to talk tech.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I'll make sure I tell the largest internet presences on the internet that LAMP is in no way the right way to run things. This will be a game changer for:
    * Google
    * Facebook
    * Craigslist
    * PriceGrabber
    * Yahoo!

All of these companies are doing it wrong! They should be RUNNING AWAY from a LAMP stack...

I hate it when business folks try to talk tech.
    Actually, the guy who writes that blog is a tech guy and he was referring to hardware companies.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.