Thread: Big line of storms in Indiana at the moment - 10M active

Big line of storms in Indiana at the moment - 10M active

The Sporadic E Machine is firing up again, courtesy of a line of thunderstorms (with a few embedded supercells) that's currently located in eastern Indiana.

EPA to IA is a typical supported path location/distance at present. Stations located at points along the circle which has those areas as its diameter and the storms at the center should also be able to utilize the E clouds which are being generated by the larger cells.

While it may not be energetic enough to trigger lots of 6M propagation, the event currently has 10M hopping for a good number of us in the eastern half of the country.

If you work anything on the other side of the line this evening, post it here.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Well the 10 meter radio gets turned on at least one time per a night.
    The other night Lee and KC said that they could hear at least 4 people talking at the same time - after 9 PM EST.

It was as if someone had turned a light on.
    I don't remember for sure - but I think I didn't say anything HI HI - because the propagation was not in my direction. I could hear - but no one could hear me.

Mental note - got to get a couple of hundred feet of LMR 400 and get the Moon Raker 4 up sometime soon.

Sunday night - I believe the band conditions opened up for about a hour and I was able to rag chew once again with Lee and Kc Down in Tampa Bay...
    A couple of people on the 28.400 usb that night that I talked to - but no real band opening.

Update = Tuesday 16 - I can hear the Chicken band opening up, which usually means that the 10 meters is not far behind.
    Thundershowers Sunday night and Monday night kept the bands pretty quiet at my house with all the lightning crashes.

When that happens the 10 meters gets shut off and the 2 meters gets turned back on.

I think Sporadic E has a lot more to do with the 2 meters - ( 144 - 148 VHF) then it does for the 10 meters HF bands.

It's been my experience when the 2 meters is booming - the 10 meters is weak or non existent, when the 10 meters is booming the 2 meters is dull and uneventful.
    That is typical Western Pennsylvania for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    What's 2 meters?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Thanks.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    yeah, ok, there, big Jer...

That's WPA fer ya, uhhuh.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Thanks.
    Or, if you prefer, about 78-3/4 inches
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Or, if you prefer, about 78-3/4 inches
    Both are excellent!

Another line just crossing into northern IN as I type this. Anyone in the NE need the Dakotas on 10?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."