Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 11 Meters Fun - Sked?

Banned

11 Meters Fun - Sked?

I have a couple of street legal CB radios here, a old Pierce Simpson Base station that I just bought a couple of weeks ago and no one to talk to on single side band.

Anyone that would like to hook up - anytime and talk, I can hook it up and give it a try.

I guess this is what they call a Sked type post.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Are you nutz? CB does have rules, believe it or not, and talking to most of us would violate them.

Why are you obsessed with CB anyway?
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

155 mile limit. If you're here to get us in trouble with the FCC, please note that we know better than to use 11m when 10m is better and has better rules governing it.
    You're an EXTRA. Forget about CB.
    Give 20m a try, you may enjoy it.
    Only use for CB is as a road monitoring system when traveling the interstate.

It's been a long time since I've read the CB rules, is it 155 miles? I thought the rule was absolutely no 'skip'.. line of sight transmissions only.

Amen, Charles.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    It's been a long time since I've read the CB rules, is it 155 miles? I thought the rule was absolutely no 'skip'.. line of sight transmissions only.
    155/153 either way, that is the maximum distance even if you hear 4 watt rigs from across the country. No Talky Talky.

I noticed a lot of guys who got into ham radio thinking they could legally run export radios and amps unencumbered because someone told them wrong and they wanted to believe it. Many it seems, still play by that way of thinking. Banned radios are still banned and 4 watts is the limit no matter who you are.

Caint hearsyouse on my Johnson from thar.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Caint hearsyouse on my Johnson from thar.
    Thank goodness for small favors.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I keep a receiver parked on 27.385 (Ch 38 ) LSB almost continually. A number of the area hams I know also make use of 11M SSB. We view it as just another band.

The FCC opened a commentary period some time ago regarding the relaxation of certain existing Part 95 rules, including the 155-mile "limit". Oddly enough, the only folk who commented strongly against this and a number of other proposed changes were the uber-whacker, "when all else fails!" types. In fact, most of them felt the rules should become even more restrictive.

It's pretty easy to understand why: Anything to perpetuate the illusion that ham radio can single-handedly save the modern world, and that no other communication service should be afforded parity.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I keep a receiver parked on 27.385 (Ch 38 ) LSB almost continually. A number of the area hams I know also make use of 11M SSB. We view it as just another band.

The FCC opened a commentary period some time ago regarding the relaxation of certain existing Part 95 rules, including the 155-mile "limit". Oddly enough, the only folk who commented strongly against this and a number of other proposed changes were the uber-whacker, "when all else fails!" types. In fact, most of them felt the rules should become even more restrictive.

It's pretty easy to understand why: Anything to perpetuate the illusion that ham radio can save the modern world, and that no other communication service should be afforded parity.
    11m is the band to monitor for possible 10m band openings. I believe in 1996 the was 40 million CBs to 650 thousand licensed hams. Quite a contrast.
    By that same token, just by sheer numbers, you will have proportionately more jammers on 11m than all of ham radio. We have a guy here who plays back recorded segments of 11m QSOs while those same guys are IN QSO and he also managed to do a great job of connecting his guitar to his CB radio. That takes a little technical know how and practice to get it right.

Due to the sheer numbers, they could use some extra channels but, not frequencies already in use by other services. As far as the power limitations, as long as they are unlicensed, keep it under 20 watts. Even though there are rules in place, they are pretty much useless. The idea of bringing back a license with callsigns back to 11m has been discussed in the mid 90s and it never really went anywhere. I think the general consensus was that "you ain't putting the toothpaste back in the tube."

You want to get a group from the internet to get together on 11m? Hams know better that to risk their licenses and fines and every piece of equipment they have.