Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Boatanchor Stalled in Water.

Vintage Boatanchor Stalled in Water.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If you need spares (especially toobz) they're yours for the asking - same goes for any other Islander who's in need of a part to get his or her rig back in service. Ye Olde Junque Box continues to grow at a rate far faster than I can utilize it so if it didn't cost me anything it won't cost any of you either.
    I have a Heathkit HW-101 that was picked up at the flea market, Ithought it would make a good project so, I started to restore it. when I opened it up, the first thing I noticed was that one of the drive belts on the preselector/driver stage tuners was broken; the other is not far away from the same fate.

I have transmit on 40 meters and 20 meters but, before I could proceed any farther, the coupler that connects the PA Tuner and Load to the front panel shaft/knob gave out, it is cracked and made of plastic; the set screws only widen the cracks.

I might have to make do with rubber bands if I cannot find the drive belts.

Fred, have you got any shaft couplers around that might work?

These guys carry them as do these guys. I have not bought anything from either of them myself so you may want to check around first.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Someone with the resources could make a pretty nice chunk, maybe for several years to come, on Heathkit resto kits. Something that contains what you need to tackle all the common problems of old Heathkits.
    If the average pricing was around $89 for an average resto kit, it might be a good business venture for someone of such a mind.

Do they have to be insulated?

If so...I have a few Millen shaft couplers which would work.

If not...I have a few metal units that shouldn't come loose...ever.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A cheesy but possibly workable solution to the coupler problem might be a short length of flexible plastic tubing and some small hose clamps, both easily obtained from Home Despot or an auto supply store.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    I have a Heathkit HW-101 that was picked up at the flea market, Ithought it would make a good project so, I started to restore it. when I opened it up, the first thing I noticed was that one of the drive belts on the preselector/driver stage tuners was broken; the other is not far away from the same fate.

I have transmit on 40 meters and 20 meters but, before I could proceed any farther, the coupler that connects the PA Tuner and Load to the front panel shaft/knob gave out, it is cracked and made of plastic; the set screws only widen the cracks.

I might have to make do with rubber bands if I cannot find the drive belts.

Fred, have you got any shaft couplers around that might work?

Try this.
    http://www.ultrawebb.com/OHP/

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    These guys carry them as do these guys. I have not bought anything from either of them myself so you may want to check around first.
    Bookmarked!

I found the belts locally at a TV repair shop. I see the coupler listed online, that might be the way to go.

Driven to fix this transceiver!

'Ya know, I have been judged as extremely intelligent or, extremely stupid depending upon, which end I start to solve the problem from.....

Problem: A fourty year old plastic shaft coupler with a brass insert in one end; plastic is cracked so brass insert cannot be tightened.

Light bulb comes on! Flip the plastic around and put the brass insert into the end that is not cracked; set screw now tightens.

Problem: Drive belt broken.

Light Bulb comes on! Wrap the pulleys with "Kentucky Khrome" (Duct-tape) to form an emergency drive belt.

Full speed ahead on troubleshooting until I can get the proper replacements, thanks for the links.

Mel.

1- The Rubber Belts on the two Variable Capacitors in the Pre-selector were replaced with Dial Cord and Dial Cord Spring to maintain tension. Please consult page 89 of the HW101 Manual where the looping procedure is very nicely explained with diagrams.
    2- Rotors of both the PI Network Tuning Capacitors, are not isolated from Chassis, therefore, metal Couplers may be used to extend the shaft. The Plastic Coupler shown in the picture does not look that bad and can be cleaned (degreased) and repaired with some crazy glue, held tight till dried, as I have done so for my HW101.

Good luck!
    Wasay
    AP2WF

Welcome to the Island, Wasay - and thanks for the tip!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."