Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle mobile

Motorcycle mobile

Spent the latter half of the day installing an FTM-10SR - 2/440MHz 10w mobile - on 'DSG's Valkyrie Tourer. What a friggin' project. The 'homebrew' aspect involves cable, bracket and interface building. A big tip of the hat to Jon Jamber and the rest of the Kennedy Technologies staff, who provided the FRSet-4 controller and a bunch of hard-to-find connectors.

Pictures forthcoming as soon as I clean the wiring job up a bit, along with the rest of the bike. Have to build a harness to connect the two rear speakers (mounted in the passenger armrests) to the Yaesu's AF Out line. It's capable of receiving FM stereo and that's the main reason I donated one of the rigs to her bike - it doesn't have a factory audio system.

Sadly, Yaesu discontinued the -SR (waterproof) version, leaving only the FTM-10R (50w) available. I would gladly pay $$$ for a waterproof, 10W mobile FM rig of similar construction that covers 10-6-2M, 220 and 440MHz. With the rig which is due here sometime next week we have four of them and I would like to find a fifth.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Spent the latter half of the day installing an FTM-10SR - 2/440MHz 10w mobile - on 'DSG's Valkyrie Tourer. What a friggin' project. The 'homebrew' aspect involves cable, bracket and interface building. A big tip of the hat to Jon Jamber and the rest of the Kennedy Technologies staff, who provided the FRSet-4 controller and a bunch of hard-to-find connectors.

Pictures forthcoming as soon as I clean the wiring job up a bit, along with the rest of the bike. Have to build a harness to connect the two rear speakers (mounted in the passenger armrests) to the Yaesu's AF Out line. It's capable of receiving FM stereo and that's the main reason I donated one of the rigs to her bike - it doesn't have a factory audio system.

Sadly, Yaesu discontinued the -SR (waterproof) version, leaving only the FTM-10R (50w) available. I would gladly pay $$$ for a waterproof, 10W mobile FM rig of similar construction that covers 10-6-2M, 220 and 440MHz. With the rig which is due here sometime next week we have four of them and I would like to find a fifth.
    I wish I'd have known. I coulda helped you out with the fifth, but I drank it.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

IMHO, Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without adding the distraction of a two way radio. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    IMHO, Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without adding the distraction of a two way radio. But that's just me.
    Everything's integrated - your hands needn't leave the bars once you have set the operating frequency and mode. PTT controls for onboard CB (Hondaline/Clarion) and the Yaesu dualbander are on the left bar, near the grip. Easy reach.

Here's a shot of the FRSet-4, nestled in its frame area before the fuel tank was replaced:

IMAG0020.jpg
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Can you spot the radio?

IMAG0021.jpg

Getting warmer...the main chassis tucks up underneath the Valkyrie I/S' trunk rack in the space where its OEM CB would normally mount. Since this is a Tourer, its accessory CB mounts under the driver's saddle - leaving the trunk area free.

IMAG0022.jpg

The control head. It's completely waterproof, as is the main chassis. The white lead to the right of the unit is the Hondaline CB unit's "Aux In" line - I opted to use the CB for this rather than the FTM-10SR's "Line In" port - owing to the fact it's a little bit easier for the driver (Nicki) to work the CB's audio input source selector with gloved hands.

IMAG0023.jpg

Antenna and connector. The mount is a standard Hondaline; it was adapted to accommodate a PL-259 on each end by first removing the Honda 8mm stud mount and coax. A pair of SO-239 to 3/8"-24 mounts and a 3/8"-24 threaded barrel (as is used to mount a fiberglass CB whip, for example) comprise the inside and a pair of Teflon washers/spacers - one at each end of the assembly - keeps the "center conductor" (barrel) from shorting out to the arm.

Easy to duplicate; all parts available from your local Radio Shack, CB shop, etc. The modification is completely reversible if wanting to return the bike to "stock".

The antenna is a Comet SB224 - it has a fold-over mast like the Hondaline CB antenna, which is mounted on the left side of the trunk. Handy for times when you need to throw a cover on the bike - just lay both of them flat. No need to remove.

IMAG0024.jpg

One other tidbit - I programmed a bunch of frequencies - simplex, repeaters, FRS/GMRS/MURS monitor channels - public service/safety allocations and a lot more into a master unit while sitting in the shack. Once this was done, I took the master and a 12v battery out to the bike, activated 'clone mode' and in about 2 minutes had a copy of the data residing in the newly installed radio, awaiting usage. I'll update the rest of the radios as I get them and install them. This is a cool feature to have, but the rigs have to be in close proximity to each other for this to work. How close I'm not sure - hopefully we can do bike-to-bike clones if parked next to one another.