Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice

Banned

I need some advice

The local SK ham that I have been talking about, has family members who are ready to divide his estate.

My X cousin - cousin , is advising them how much to sell his possessions for.

The problem is - my cousin works for a large container company and makes very decent money, so money to him is just a number.
    The value of the possessions are not exactly top dollar, but the equipment was good stuff - although some if not most of it was broke at one time or another and repaired by other hams and not sent back for service.

One of the items up for sale is a Ameritron 600 watt amplifier.
    Truthfully, this guy had so many antenna's on his roof and in his yard, he didn't need a amplifier to talk anywhere he wanted.
    My cousin told them to sell it for $600 and that was what he was asking sight unseen.

They are going by Ebay prices and not actual value for the stuff they are trying to get rid of.

The one other item was his good HFrig - a Yaesu FT 950 with mic for $1200 smackers. The radio is probably 5 or more years old and they don't want to throw in the power supply.
    I knew the guy, and he had just bought a new power supply, so there is probably something wrong with the old power supply. He had cancer and he bought ham radio equipment right up until the day he died. The truth is - he died because he couldn't afford his medicine - but he always found the money to buy ham radio stuff.

The MSRP is only about $1450 for the radio with no extra's.
    I asked if the external speaker went with the radio and the answer was NO - get your own.
    It isn't exactly my dream radio - but it would make a decent radio - if the price was right. Unfortunately I just started a new job and I am only bringing in $8.25 a hour. So I have to work a lot of hours - just to make up what I am going to spend to buy this stuff.
    My pay this week was only $285.00 - so I'm not exactly pooping nickels here.

I guess to a person that makes $1000 a week take home, these prices are just chicken feed and he is trying to help the family out to cover the burial expenses.

The other thing was - he had several sections of used Rohn 25 tower - painted and ready to be put up, which tells you that the galvanize was gone. They want $65 per each 10' section.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not dumb. I bought lot's of tower - even off the guy that is brokering the deal - for $10 a section.

I think that sometimes when a person dies and they were a ham and had a lot of stuff that the family gets dollar signs.
    The other thing is - I don't know if my X cousin is trying to make a couple of bucks on the deal by picking it up himself and bringing it home and then reselling it at a higher price to compensate him for what he is doing and what he wants out of the estate.

There is a lot of dirty pool that goes on - on these types of deals.
    I'm not a grave robber, but I know if I can buy a brand new radio for $1400 - with a warranty, why buy a used one for $1200 that has issues.

We had a little fight right before he died. I hit the mic button one time to check in on a net when I was trying out his radio and the mic burned up. When he took it apart, he had several layers of clear scotch tape over the contacts and it was burning through the tape and arcing against the body of the mic - with the stock 100 watt output of the radio. He bought another mic, just before he died, USED - but there is nothing to say that the problem isn't internal and not the fault of the mic.
    His claim was that I pushed the mic button too hard and broke it.
    He wanted me to buy him a new mic.
    God bless him, he had cancer, what can I say.

So do you people think that this is a reasonable amount of money to pay for these items?
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.

First off:

AFAIK, "Antron" never made an HF amplifier. If in fact there's such a contraption out there, post a few pics of it and let's see what we have.

"Dentron", on the other hand, did. Their 600w-out line included the GLA-1000 and Clipperton. I would pay $300-350 max for the latter, and no more than $225-250 for the former - it used TV sweep tubes and they're getting very hard to come by.

If the tower has been stored laying on its side on the ground - don't touch it for $5 a section.

What is market value for the FT-950? I would think around $700 for a working (no faults) example. The example you cited is likely in need of some surgery to fix the mic issue, and this is probably gonna co$t. I would offer no more than $500 for it, assuming you have the skills to fix SMT electronics - or know someone who does.

The other thing is - I don't know if my X cousin is trying to make a couple of bucks on the deal by picking it up himself and bringing it home and then reselling it at a higher price to compensate him for what he is doing and what he wants out of the estate.
    Majick 8-Ball sez: You can bet the farm on that statement.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Its a Ameritron amplifier.

Sorry - I have short term memory loss and I am a new ham.
    If this is how you treat all new comers - then I don't know if I want to associate with you.

I just started working again - this is my third consecutive week since my automobile accident 4 years ago.
    Just got my first pay check - not a lot $285.00 after taxes.

I invested $14 in a long distance telephone call tonight to a guy that runs the program at the place where I took two of my ham radio exams to get my license - I am a Amateur Extra Class License Holder.

His advice mirrored your advice - he said not to give more then $750 for the radio - even though the Flea Bay people are charging around $1200.00
    We discussed the mic issue and the tower issue.

I told him about a tower in Chicago that was on Flea Bay last week for $300 - 65 feet with 4 antenna's - you take down and haul away.
    Rohn DX or something.
    His first comment was that - that model didn't come in a 65' length, his second comment was that it was free standing and could only support about 100 lbs of antenna and 10 sq feet of antenna at that - so there was no way it would hold 4 beam type antenna's.
    He went on to say that he wouldn't even climb a tower like that - because the lattice is riveted on and is very sharp - you have to make sure to wear rubber sole shoes or it will cut right through the shoes.

So it seems that most if not all the deals I find these days are rip off's.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
    Jerry

Rohn BX tower came in heights up to 64' , in 8' sections . Still available new . Self-supporting , not recommended for yagis with booms longer than 10' , though this has been exceeded . It is less comfortable to climb than some others , but quite strong , and I've seen many of 'em in use 30 years plus . Nobody should climb in tennis shoes , or anything less than a boot with a steel shank , really . In those , BX is as manageable as 25 . See particulars at the link below .

http://www.alabamatower.com/BX.asp
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Quote Originally Posted by W5RB View Post
    Rohn BX tower came in heights up to 64' , in 8' sections . Still available new . Self-supporting , not recommended for yagis with booms longer than 10' , though this has been exceeded . It is less comfortable to climb than some others , but quite strong , and I've seen many of 'em in use 30 years plus . Nobody should climb in tennis shoes , or anything less than a boot with a steel shank , really . In those , BX is as manageable as 25 . See particulars at the link below .

http://www.alabamatower.com/BX.asp
    A real man chews on a spare tower bolt while he climps it barefooted. In the rain, During a lightning storm. Naked.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    A real man chews on a spare tower bolt while he climps it barefooted. In the rain, During a lightning storm. Naked.
    With a ground strap clipped to his you-know-what.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    With a ground strap clipped to his you-know-what.
    Hamstring?

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have those pix around here somewhere ....
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Orca Whisperer
    I wouldn't pay e-Bay prices for equipment. eBay prices are inflated. If the estate wants to get eBay prices, they should sell it on eBay.

So, my advice: RUN.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Its a Ameritron amplifier.Sorry - I have short term memory loss and I am a new ham.If this is how you treat all new comers - then I don't know if I want to associate with you.
    Completely your choice, but no malice was inferred by my original comments. When it comes to gray (and black)-market RF amplifiers, there were a lot of garage-quality specials that were offered under "popular" name brands. (Palomar is but one example.) It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some fly-by-night firm did in fact market an "Antron" amplifier to the CB crowd at one time...ergo, my commentary about posting a pic or two of the estate equipment you were considering.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."