Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Think i saw this Guy in My Yard Today

I Think i saw this Guy in My Yard Today

Yikes !! I think I saw this guy flying in my yard today not more then 2 or 3 feet away from me !!

To my best knowledge this guy is not supposed to live anywhere near here. But what I saw fits the description perfectly with regards to size, markings, etc.

More here,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Anyone else see these in the United States ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    Was it an Asian Giant Hornet, or a Carpenter Bee:
    carpenter-bee-bumble-bee-pestcemetery.jpg
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Was it an Asian Giant Hornet, or a Carpenter Bee:
    carpenter-bee-bumble-bee-pestcemetery.jpg
    No it was definitly not a carpenter bee. This thing was much bigger than a Bumble or carpenter bee. The size proportions of the guy that I saw was right along the lines of the asian hornet. And believe me, I saw him up very close... he was hovering not more than 2-3 feet away and scared the shit out of me. Also, his marking were exactly like those pictured for the asian hornet. He (or maybe she) had the striped lower abdomen and the same head colours. This thing was no bee. And bigger than any wasp, bee, or hornet that I have ever seen in my life. Scared the crap out of me. Too damned close for comfort. I hope I never see him again.

To hell with what he is , what the hell's he drinkin' thru that straw ?
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

I am generally not afraid of insects. My Dad used to keep bees. I used to handle hives and frames with thousands of bees at a time with my bare hands and wearing nothing but a regular tee shirt, pan. So, I am not at all squeamish or nervous when it comes to insects. But this thing scared the hell out of me.

Oh that straw !! Hah hah... Her's dead and thats a pin holding him to a board. But it does look like a straw,

I have had nest of giant hornets (not sure if it was that exact specie or not) in a apple tree bout 200 or feet from the house. A couple would buzz the house once in a while and these mofos were big.
    They never bothered us at all. Sort of like heavy horses, I found them to be a non-threat, of course we didn't go ballastic when we saw them...Gave them their space and such.
    I do know one thing. They love beer. Saw a many head for an open beer on the deck and walk right in the can. We invoked glass only beer containers since cause the thought of slamming a beer with a hornet swimming in it would be a definite buzz kill.
    For loss of taxonomic expertise we just refered to them as Japanese Hornets and they were not bad neighbors.
    We just left the nest alone and now they have disappeared. Have not seen one in years.
    I have been hassled more by the damn yellow jackets in the pant leg type of thing.
    rot
    Last edited by rot; 07-29-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I am generally not afraid of insects. My Dad used to keep bees. I used to handle hives and frames with thousands of bees at a time with my bare hands and wearing nothing but a regular tee shirt, pan. So, I am not at all squeamish or nervous when it comes to insects. But this thing scared the hell out of me.

Oh that straw !! Hah hah... Her's dead and thats a pin holding him to a board. But it does look like a straw,
    If it was a Giant Asian, you have every right to be afraid.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

If he saw you, you will be one of his targets. Run a zig-zag when you go out to the mail box.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

We have some European varieties that are huge. One nailed me last year right over the eye while riding down the road. Almost had a heart attack. Yes, I was wearing eye protection. He nailed the top of the lens and flipped over and stung the shee-ite out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    If it was a Giant Asian, you have every right to be afraid.
    Yeah, they can pump you up with enough venom to kill you. Not to mention the sting hurts like hell and they inject a pheromone to attract their friends. This one hovered in front of me for a bit and then veered off. hovered in the distance for a bit and then dissapeared.