Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 40m Dipole

New 40m Dipole

Just put up a mast and hung a 40m dipole. It's not nearly as high as I would like to have it but, unlike my G5RV, at least it's actually cut for the band so perhaps the next time we try an Islander net on 40m someone will be able to hear me.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Depends. Was the wx inclement? It'll get out like gangbusters. Was the wx pleasant? Won't work for shite.

Just kiddin'...I think. Isn't it great to get a new antenna up? How's it working so far.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Depends. Was the wx inclement? It'll get out like gangbusters. Was the wx pleasant? Won't work for shite.

Just kiddin'...I think.
    I hope so. The weather in on the Islets of Langerhans is perfect about 88% of the time, which wouldn't leave much of a window for erecting antennas.

Isn't it great to get a new antenna up? How's it working so far.
    I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet but it tests out well with the antenna analyzer. Since I do a lot of digital work, I tuned it towards the bottom of the band and it shows less than 1:2 SWR across the lower 2/3 of the band. The upper third is still well within the range of my antenna tuner but I rarely go up there anyhow. The BBC tends to make it kind of pointless.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Okay, got on the air with the thing this evening. It's matched well enough at 7037.15 that I can switch out the tuner completely with no reflected power indicated. First QSO was with LU1MGA in Argentina. I think it's working...

ON EDIT: One thing I noticed right away is that it's much quieter than using my G5RV on 40m. I've always had a high noise floor on 40; I assumed that it was just a fact of life, living in southern CA and all. Turns out maybe its not. I wonder if the vertical matching section on the 'RV has something to do with it.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 07-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Cool!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Okay, got on the air with the thing this evening. It's matched well enough at 7037.15 that I can switch out the tuner completely with no reflected power indicated. First QSO was with LU1MGA in Argentina. I think it's working...

ON EDIT: One thing I noticed right away is that it's much quieter than using my G5RV on 40m. I've always had a high noise floor on 40; I assumed that it was just a fact of life, living in southern CA and all. Turns out maybe its not. I wonder if the vertical matching section on the 'RV has something to do with it.
    Most likely the case, as the vertical matching section is part of the antenna, and closer to man-made noise sources (ie, closer to the ground).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Most likely the case, as the vertical matching section is part of the antenna, and closer to man-made noise sources (ie, closer to the ground).
    That's what I was thinking too—the matching section functions as a vertical antenna element and verticals are known to be noisier than horizontally polarized antennas.

Warms my heart to see one of "those" antennas replaced with a real dipole!

And, just for :stirpot:...

Here's how to get the best doublet......

While waiting for one of those GOOD antenna raising wx days....

1) Dust-off, build, or acquire a real truly balanced coupler. Extra points for link coupling

2) Assemble a folded doublet...or maybe better yet, a double extended Zepp using hand made open wire, 600 ohm line.

3) Erect it on a really, really lousy wx day. Could be that where you are "lousy wx" would be extremely hot?

Could gain 1/3 to 1/2 of a dB over a coax-fed dipole!

(Total good-natured jesting....but that's the dipole I'd put up if I could.)

Thanks to Carl, it's now readily apparent why the Western Wall of Power may be a necessary (evil :twisted:) for those in Southern California. They don't have any good antenna building weather days.

Damn. The things you miss when you're not really paying attention.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Warms my heart to see one of "those" antennas replaced with a real dipole!
    It didn't entirely replace the G5RV. I still use that for 20m, for which it works very well.