Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 40m Dipole

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    It didn't entirely replace the G5RV. I still use that for 20m, for which it works very well.
    I'd love to hear the results of A/B testing of the two on 20.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    It didn't entirely replace the G5RV. I still use that for 20m, for which it works very well.
    I'd love to hear the results of A/B testing of the two on 20.
    The 40m dipole would be a full wave length on 20. Very high impedance and a bitch to match, if feeding with coax. Even if you could match it, the patterns are drastically different between the 2 antennas. It would depend on what target you're trying to hit in the first place.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 07-13-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

My 40m dipole (@55') seems to have some deep nulls on 20.
    But,the people who actually do hear me on 20 say I'm really strong for the power I run.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    The 40m dipole would be a full wave length on 20. Very high impedance and a bitch to match. Even if you could match it, the patterns are drastically different between the 2 antennas. It would depend on what target your trying to hit in the first place.
    I have no problems tuning mine with a manual tuner. The nulls are there...no doubt..

If I'm on twenty, it's probably a DX contest day and I have a purpose built vertical end fed zep for that band. Tiring to listen to for long periods of time, yet seems to have a very low take off angle.
    Last edited by ki4itv; 07-13-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    I have no problems tuning mine with a manual tuner. The nulls are there...no doubt..
    Is it fed with coax?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Used a 75m dipole for all bands up to 10 for years with no problem. First, fed with coax and then fed with balanced line. Both tuned with no problem using a small MFJ 300w tuner. Eventually home-brewed a coupler with a link. Did no formal comparison, but all cases worked well, despite using coax in the one case.

Only matching difficult I encountered was when I got a Matchbox with its limited range. On that occasion I spent an entire afternoon embedded in the tediom of getting the feedline to a length that would work on all bands.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Is it fed with coax?
    Yes, and I already know.

Banned
    KJ3N seems to be a very intelligent person.
    I Have gotten in so many internet arguments with internet idiots about G5RV antenna's that I stopped counting them.

Since there is all different models of G5RV there is no way for sure to make any assumptions but the one comment I will make is that I know of a guy who uses a NVIS antenna on his receive side of the radio and a 40 meters di pole on the transmit side and claimed to have good results in both directions.

The NVIS antenna only needs to be a couple of feet or less off the ground.
    It ignores the local noise and is much quieter then a Di Pole.

I hate di pole antenna's because they have no gain.
    Good for anyone with limited space - ( me included) but a poor performer for things such as field days where you have 30 idiots on one frequency, all demanding to be heard, and each person - other then you, using some type of amplifier to talk over every one else.

That is what I like about 20 and 10 meters.
    Give me a 100 watt radio and a 20 meter beam and I will talk all day, all night, all weekend, and the only problems I will have is from other hams, trying to steal the frequency away from me - with more power and a closer location to the receive side of the conversation.

10 meters is great - because most of the idiots stays away from 10 meters because it is too hard to predict when it is going to be open, or for how long.
    Give me a 25 watt radio and a Antron 99 antenna and I will talk clear across the US in any direction.

The problem is - most of the idiots comes down for their 10 - 10 contests or what have you, with their amplifiers and their beam antenna's and they try to scream and yell over each other as close as possible to 28.400 mhz because they don't know no better.

If a person wants to work a contest, let them move up or down.
    If a person wants to participate in a contest, they will look for you and will meet you just about anywhere.

The other half of the idiots is the inconsiderate hams - the ones who thinks that in order to be heard, has to tune up their radio right on the call channel, then tunes up their amplifiers the same way.

I don't know what it is about some idiots, but they either buy their ham license, or they figure once they get it, they can do as they please and don't care who they offend, as long as they get to do what they want to do, and they brag about how educated they are or how much they know or how long they been a ham, but most of them don't know how to talk on the radio.

I guess that is what probably attracts so many of them to contesting, because they don't have to talk, just collect call signs.

All I am going to say is Good Luck with your 40 meter di pole antenna, hope it works for you.

Welcome to The Island Jerry!
    Our esteemed bartender should be along shortly with the libation of your choice.
    Me, I'm just going to put up a hammock right here and await 3N's return.
    I wouldn't want to miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    KJ3N seems to be a very intelligent person.
    Appearances are sometimes deceiving. ;)

I hate di pole antenna's because they have no gain.
    Really? :chin:

Ever use an 80m dipole (fed with ladder line) on 20m? I do. It has 4 gain lobes. Those lobes have about as much gain as a 4-element 20m beam.

Ever use EZNEC? Model an 80m dipole @ 60 feet above ground and see the "no gain".

Dipoles in free space have no gain. Dipoles over real ground have gain due to ground reflections.

Latest ClubLog entries.