Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cheated on my vegan lifestyle tonight....

I cheated on my vegan lifestyle tonight....

...at least it feels like it. I went vegan about 6 weeks ago. During the week, I have 6-8 servings of raw veggies, and fruits, nuts, and grains like bulgar wheat daily. During the weekends, I reward my good behavior with some processed, and lightly processed vegan foods.

Tonight, I had Tofurky brand Italian sausages (2) with Ragu brand garden sauce, Ezekiel bread (2 slices), and Ezekiel Bread Penne Pasta (4 oz), can of sweet peas, 3 fresh mushrooms, Nature Balance dairy free buttery spread, Tofutti mozzarella cheese slices, extra virgin olive oil. garlic salt. 2 oz of a local vegan Parmesan cheese ground.

Ezekiel Bread products are made from live spouts, and taste very good, and have a very low glycemic number, so are diabetic friendly. They are also 100% nutritionally complete, so in theory one could live off them, and water indefinitely

Cut up the sausages into half inch sections, and brown in a skillet with some extra virgin olive oil. Stir-in Ragu sauce. throw in 3 diced fresh mushrooms, bring to light boil on medium heat.

melt a tablespoon of Nature Balance in the microwave for 45 seconds. Spread the melted nature Balance on two slices of Ezekiel bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a pinch of garlic salt on each slice. Pre-heat oven to 400 degF. Bake for 10 minutes, or when outer bread is hard. Shut off oven, switch to low broil. Place a slice of Tofutii Parmesan cheese on each slice, and broil until melted.

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add some extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt bring to rolling boil. Add 4 oz of Ezekiel Bread Penne pasta. Keep stirring pasta for 4-5 minutes until tender. This pasta is fully cooked much faster than wheat based pasta. the water will turn brown. Drain the pasta through a colander, or screen. add cold water, and drain again. Serve immediately. Pour on the Italian sausage/Ragu sauce/mushroom mixture.

heat a drained can of sweet peas in a bowl with one tablespoon of Nature Balance spread in the microwave.

Enjoy.

I found that the package "one serving" was two servings for me. So this made 3 servings for me. YMMV.
    This meal offers about 500 calories. 40 grams of low glycemic carbs. 8 grams of poly unsaturated fat 4 grams of saturated fat, 5 frams of mono saturated fat, and 40 grams of protein. Most of the protein is complete. I was totally full in 20 minutes, and could not finish it.

I felt like I was cheating. :twisted:

So far, I have dropped 11% of the body weight. I am off 2 medications, 4 to go. I sleep like a baby at night. My pain level is down 80%.
    The rash on my face has disappeared. I feel a helluva lot better than 6 weeks ago. I get to eat easy to make good tasting foods like this. Vegan is fun!!!!!!

Edit:
    I forgot to mention, I have been a type II diabetic for 6 years now. My last trip to the doc my A1C check was 7.0. That is the highest number considered as marginal control. I checked my blood glucose 2.5 hours after that HUGE meal, it read 118. That is above normal for a non-diabetic, but is wonderful for a diabetic after eating. My goal is to be one of those peoplewho reversed type II diabetes with proper nutrition.
    Last edited by suddenseer; 07-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Congrats Tim!
    I couldn't do it. Being Vegan is hard to do right and actually get everything you need. I have two close vegan friends and have watched in awe as they have become encyclopedias of nutritional information. It seems like planning and acquiring suitable foodstuffs has become a considerable time-sink for both of them, even though they enjoy it.
    I hardly have the self control for such an endeavor...just have to stick with cutting out the drive-thru junk for me.

Sounds like it's working for you! That's cool.:)

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

I am a carnivore.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Hello.

I like tacos.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I am a carnivore.
    I bet you're an omnivore. Hah, tastes like chicken.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Hello.

I like tacos.
    Can you eat tacos, and pilot your bell at the same time?

cul de n8tb

Ah! Taco Bell

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    ...tastes like chicken.
    To quote Ulysses Grant (who detested fowl): "Man was not intended to eat anything that goes about on two legs."
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I could get on board with the vegan diet if I didn't have such a severe addiction to steaks.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.