Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins

Twins

Look what I traded my IC-R75 for:

They need a bit of cleaning and TLC but are in good, restorable shape. I've wanted a set of Drake Twins ever since I first got interested in ham radio when I was a teenager and forty years later I finally got 'em. I am a happy camper.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 07-03-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I wanted a TR-7/R7 'set' back in high school but the entire station (with options) cost ~$9,000 in those days.

Weren't no way I could have swung THAT. Just the transceiver with filters and NB7/AUX7 was north of $2k!

Times change. Radios break and people can't figure out how to fix them, so on the block they go.

At the moment there are 7 R7s in and around my shack. Four work. Three have to be rebuilt, and I'm trying to get Tony Mills (of 4CFrontpanels) to repro the R7 panel as he's done with the TR7/L7 setup.

Have fun with that setup. Be sure to keep an eye out for a nice SW4A and/or an SPR4 to go along with it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Nice. Very nice.

I do miss my C-Line, but like my Hallicrafters station, it's time came and went. Maybe one day, but not today.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Same deal with the twins—way out of my price range back in the day.

One of the reasons I sprung for the set was that they are something I actually have a chance of being able to repair myself. No way I can work on modern equipment, it's just far too complex for me. Vacuum tubes, point-to-point wiring and discrete components, though, that's the sort of stuff that was still current (although already on the way out) when I got what little formal training I ever got in electronics so I might be able to deal with it. It helps that there's a lot of info online and pretty much all the electronics parts are easily obtained.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

If you need spares (especially toobz) they're yours for the asking - same goes for any other Islander who's in need of a part to get his or her rig back in service. Ye Olde Junque Box continues to grow at a rate far faster than I can utilize it so if it didn't cost me anything it won't cost any of you either.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If you need spares (especially toobz) they're yours for the asking - same goes for any other Islander who's in need of a part to get his or her rig back in service. Ye Olde Junque Box continues to grow at a rate far faster than I can utilize it so if it didn't cost me anything it won't cost any of you either.
    Okay, thanks!

The caps in the power supply will need probably to be changed out, the thing has apparently been sitting for a while. Which reminds me that I need to call my buddy and ask if I can borrow his Variac.

I don't know about the tubes yet—I haven't done anything more than a quick visual inspection to make sure that everything was there—but if you have a pair of the 6JB6 television sweep tubes the transmitter uses as finals, I'll happily buy them from you. If I don't need them now, I will eventually.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 07-03-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Nice mate

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

One more item to complete your vintage station.

They are easier to work on as well. If my memory serves me the AM mode of Drake radios sounded a bit funky. Some of the ancient mary enthusiasts have developed mods to cure that. Good find!!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Nice find Carl. Now keep ur eyes peeled for one of these.
    http://www.hug-a-bug.com/FS4.html

Wow Carl. Did you realize how large this project would grow?