Thread: Tent poles = portable antenna?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Tent poles = portable antenna?

While setting up my tent and putting the poles together, I noticed that they could make an EXCELLENT portable antenna. The ones on my small tent are 12' long...but I'll bet the poles for a family-size tent would be at least 16' long -- that's a full size verticle for 20 mtrs. Base could be as simple as a block of wood with a hole in it.

That plus a few radials sounds like a great and very portable antenna.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Get an fishing rod, we can buy them here ( glass fiber) from 6 to 21 meters long, the last ones are made as vertical for ham radio peeps like us from several manufacturers, and come with guy wires and all.

But a fishhing rod alone should be a good start glass fiber and get a ground anchor for tents, or large sunshades, they come with hole to put the sunshade -pole in.

A bunch of alligator clips and wire, you have your pronto antenna...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

The reason that tent poles look so attractive is that they break down into short (< 1', or 0.3048 meters) sections that fit in a back pack. And the shock-cording makes 'em a snap to put together.

Or do fishing poles do this too, now?

Hah—I got a similar idea while setting up my little tent for Field Day. The ones I have aren't rigid enough for use as a vertical without a lot of guying but they'd be perfect as spreaders for a 20m quad.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Hah—I got a similar idea while setting up my little tent for Field Day. The ones I have aren't rigid enough for use as a vertical without a lot of guying but they'd be perfect as spreaders for a 20m quad.
    What I noticed about mine is the built in curve made it look just like an element on a yagi when I held it horizontal. Portable 20M beam that fits in a backpack? The possibilities are exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    What I noticed about mine is the built in curve made it look just like an element on a yagi when I held it horizontal. Portable 20M beam that fits in a backpack? The possibilities are exciting.
    Tans my Boehner.

I was thinking they'd work great for a Hex Beam. http://www.qsl.net/wy3a/G3TXQ_Broadband_Hex.htm

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL