Thread: A Field Day QSO

A Field Day QSO

I'm quite proud of my guys.

Jim WB4GCS just emailed me a few Field Day pictures, and I wanted to share this one with you:
    7739 S.jpg
    Now, what's so special about this? Looks just like a typical FD QSO, right?

Well, it's Kevin N3HKQ making a QSO. With Germany.

On 432 MHz EME.

In the course of about 4 months, if that, the gang had the notion to construct an EME array for our mobile trailer-mounted tower, for use at FD and other things, built it, got it operational, and made some Q's with it.

Here's a shot of the EME array on top of the tower...
    7764 Top S.jpg
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Beach Bum
    Congrats, and WOW... I didn't even get to participate... been nursing a knee that my dog pulled out from under me... needless to say, don't try to take a hungry dog out before you give him the food... doesn't go well...
    "It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not"
    Jeremiah (aka W9JAM)

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    That's some serious operating. Thanks for the pix. How much power?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    That's some serious operating. Thanks for the pix. How much power?
    Not sure, I think around 600 W. I'll find out.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Very good, and a novel way to get points!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by W9JAM View Post
    Congrats, and WOW... I didn't even get to participate... been nursing a knee that my dog pulled out from under me... needless to say, don't try to take a hungry dog out before you give him the food... doesn't go well...
    Yea, feed the pooch first. That way you can kill two turds with one roam. (sry...couldn't help meself)

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Banned
    Well - I'm new here, but I can tell you that I made over 150 contacts on 20 meters on field days in about 5 hours, with a Icom 746 Pro and a 3 element beam antenna 20' off the ground at our local club house.

I then drove 60 miles north and participated with another club the rest of that night and the next morning.

My best QSO that weekend was early Saturday morning when I was loading the truck for Field dAys and talked with a guy from Barcelona Spain with the Ranger 2950 and Antron 99 antenna at my house - Pennsylvania. 25 watts! / 10 meters.

I did manage to talk to one European station on 80 meters when someone needed to go for food and let me use his radio for a couple of minutes.
    He was working CW with a computer - not really contesting in my book - but anywho - I probably got a lot of peoples attention when I made the entry into the log because they kept asking me if the call sign was right.

I think I made 50 or so contacts on the 10 meters at their shack with a old Radio Shack mobile radio / 100 watt amplifier that didn't work and a di pole antenna.
    Not my idea of working a contest on field days.

I tried 40 meters on some guys old junk radio - but there were so many people screaming to be heard I had to shut it off. Almost no one could hear me anyways with all the pile ups going on. I guess everyone else must have either been closer to the contact person or had a amplifier and better antenna or a better radio...

Better luck next year I always say.

Cool. It's always fun to see what other FD groups get up to. We're a small group here of usually just 3 or 4 and we usually try to do something different each year. Never anything quite this ambitious.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    Yea, feed the pooch first. That way you can kill two turds with one roam. (sry...couldn't help meself)
    OK I just now saw that... That was awesome LOL
    "It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not"
    Jeremiah (aka W9JAM)