Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question for the Antenna Gurus

A Question for the Antenna Gurus

OK, an idle thought crossed my mind as I was working on the front porch tonight, and I wanted to run it by the antenna gurus out here.

As you may recall from an earlier thread, I am going to be putting up a flag pole vertical sometime this summer, as part of the front porch remodeling project. And it's not a question of "if" but "when" -- the fiberglass flagpole is sitting in the house waiting for the right point in time in the project.

Since it's a fiberglass pole, obviously I'm going to be running a wire up inside it, approx. 21 - 22 feet; the length of the pole is 22 feet, I'm not sure if I'm going to run the feed out above or through the mounting post yet. And it's going to connect to an SGC tuner mounted right at the base, so loading should be relatively easy (famous last words).

Now, the idle thought is simply this... why not run more than one wire inside? That is, run multiple lengths cut for each band (10, 12, 15, 17, 20 & 30 meters) alongside the "main run". This ought to make the flag pole resonant (more or less) on each band; or close enough that the tuner won't have to "work" too hard to match.

For this to work, it would have to be insulated wire. The main length would also be the vertical support. Of course, everything would be tied together at the main feed point. And it should go without saying that there will be a nice radial field laid out underneath the antenna (including underneath the deck that's going to go over the concrete porch) so that shouldn't be a factor.

The theory is that, as implied by Ohm's Law, energy should flow to the most resonant wire on a given band, as the path of least resistance. And I'm confident that this should work, recalling the mobile antenna setup I had on my old van -- 2 Ten-Tec mobile antennas (their short-lived clones of the hamsticks) on 40 & 15, plus a 10 meter whip (OK, a CB whip trimmed), all in parallel on one feed. Three bands, no switching, no tuning (which was nice considering that the TS-120S I ran mobile at the time didn't have a tuner built in!)

And I will try to borrow an antenna analyzer, trying to cut the wires as close to resonance as possible.

Thoughts?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I've considered similar ideas and some say that the proximity of the wires together may upset the balance of Space Time. Kind of when you use a fan dipole. Why does it have to have spreaders? Why can't the wires just be closer?

Just for your own sanity, make it easy to disassemble so you can get to the insides any time you need to. There may well be quite a bit more experimentation than you are bargaining for.

Is there something you can put on the end of each wire so that it will truly be easier on the tuner? Half wave inductor? I dunno at this point but if a bicycle wheel reflector can work on VHF ..........................

I've seen that done with dipoles ("fan dipoles") but I don't know what will happen with a bunch of 1/4 wave verticals; in such close proximity, I'd expect them to interact with with each other and mess with the tuning/radiation pattern. More typically, one vertical antenna is used with an adjustable loading coil on the bottom. But WTF, it seems like it's worth trying since you're putting the whole thing up anyhow. The worst that could happen is it won't work and you'll have to pull out the extra wires but, who knows? You could end up with something awesome. For instance, a club buddy and I were playing around yesterday and came up a 20m Moxon built out of 1/2" copper plumbing pipe that can be disassembled and tossed in the back of a short-bed pick up for Field Day. No worse than 1:1.5 SWR across the entire band and our first on-air test—with 100 watts and the thing less than six feet off the ground—resulted in a S-9 report from a ham in New Jersey.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 06-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I've considered similar ideas and some say that the proximity of the wires together may upset the balance of Space Time. Kind of when you use a fan dipole. Why does it have to have spreaders? Why can't the wires just be closer?< snip >
    Might be because you can't put bare uninsulated wires too close together?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    < snip >More typically, one vertical antenna is used with an adjustable loading coil on the bottom. < snip >
    Well, that's pretty much what I would have with the SGC tuner.

But hey, it's worth a shot. What do I have to lose, some wire? Anything I pull out can get converted to radials anyway!

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Prolly be amusing to play with antenna modelling software, if you do that.
    They will interact, but you may find it useful.

What about simply running multiple wires the full length as in a cage dipole?
    But you know, like half of one. Fat and tubular to RF.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Might be because you can't put bare uninsulated wires too close together?
    No no no ... has nothing to do with that. To be clear, I use insulated wires on every antenna. My understanding was that it is an issue of resonance and proximity. If there was not an issue there, I would have made a multi-band dipole last year but months of questioning led me away from a non spreader fan dipole.

If I have misunderstood this particular issue then I might take something down, call it a mulligan and rework it like so much (insert appropriate adjective, noun and adverb)

Known as the "cat whisker" antenna, mostly as dipole.

The several verticals will interact with eachother, but it can work, you need to tune each vertical to the right sweet spot, while they interact that will be a hassle, but it can be done.
    Using a coil at the feedpoint you could even cramp 80 in there, though with a smaller bandwidth.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    The old Hy-Gain 14AVS (10-40m vertical) used the same idea. 10,15, and 40 were covered by the main antenna with two traps, while 20 m was covered by a smaller diameter tube that ran up beside the main tube, separated by about 3-4".
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I added 12 and 17m to a 4-BTV this way. A bit sensitive to tuning, but it works ok.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin