Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarlsburg cheese American style

Banned

Jarlsburg cheese American style

Tasted Jarlsburg cheese lately. It used to be a good hard semi dry cheese. Now it has the texture of Velveeta and doesn't taste much better. We are PATHETIC!
    There's no way they sell this CRAP in Europe.

It's impossible to get decent cheese anywhere outside one of the big urban areas in the United States and even then, you have to go to a specialty store. Before I moved from San Diego to the Islets of Langerhans, I lived across the street from a Whole Paycheck Foods Market. It didn't come cheap, but it sure was nice to be able to go there and pick up a hunk of gen-u-wine Wensleydale or something.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Yeah but this has the Jarlsburg name unless Walmart is jerkin me.

Jarlsburg is usually quite hard, like Parmesan. Harumph.

That's just wrong, and it's one of my favorite cheeses.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    Yeah but this has the Jarlsburg name unless Walmart is jerkin me.
    If they have a contract with Walmart then they must fulfill their obligations to provide a product or face stiff and serious legal penalties as well as illegal penalties. I've seen this happen before with other products. Just send something! They must have it!
    A few years back there was a shortage of something needed to produce the supplement CoQ10 (coenzyme Q10). There apparently was no shortage at Walmart for the house brand. Their store brand supplier filled the gap for a couple of weeks by sending Ester E in bottles marked CoQ10. While there was no harm in this, it is still not the same thing.

I have to consider the idea that in these cases, perhaps there was an oversight in QC/QA. These oversights are more apt to happen when a supplier is contractually obligated to fulfill their agreement NO MATTER WHAT. As we are all aware, WM is a very nasty Goliath to deal with. The problem I see is when something dangerous results from people being forced to meet their numbers, one way or another.

Banned
    There is a Jarlsburg "Lite". This is what I suspect I got even though the deli slices tray only had "Jarlsburg" tagged on it. I'm going to investigate. Some poor employee is probably going to get the full unload.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    There is a Jarlsburg "Lite". This is what I suspect I got even though the deli slices tray only had "Jarlsburg" tagged on it. I'm going to investigate. Some poor employee is probably going to get the full unload.
    Before you unload on a minimum wage shlep, see if you can get them to answer some questions leading up to to your dilemma. Then take it to a manager, CSA or whatever they call them these days. About the only only thing they'll be able to do is offer you a store voucher or some sort of nonsense. Bring the remainder of the product with you, which will have to be checked in at the service desk.

Chances are that you will have to climb up each tier of the ladder to get this straightened out satisfactorily unless they admit to a mistake that happened on the floor.

And as always, Your Mileage May Vary by dosage.

Banned
    Uck it!
    I'll take the lumps and eat the chit. It also looks like I got the first order after the blade on the slicer was sharpened. Black grease smeared on a few slices. Hail Walmart!

Jarlsberg is most definitely NOT a hard cheese like Parmesan. Jarlsberg is a cow milk cheese that is semi-hard, creamy tan in color, and it is very much akin to Emmentaler, in its characteristic flavor, texture and eyes. Indeed, many cannot distinguish between the two in a taste test.

Just because someone calls their cheese "Jarlsberg" does not mean that it is Jarlsberg. For the record, Jarlsberg, Emmental and Limburger are among my most favored cheeses, the last of which is now very hard to find outside of major metro cheese boutiques.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Grease on the slices is an even bigger reason to take it back and stick it to the man! Although I have to say that the minimum wage shlep and their manager is directly to blame for that one. Proper training to indicate that one must watch what they are doing.