Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jarlsburg cheese American style

During my stint in night stocking during the 80s, the pallets came off the truck stretch wrapped. Usually soap and the like came on its own pallet but there would be a couple of pallets of frozen packed in dry ice. A hot truck might sometimes carry a load of cheese and soap if there was no other way to get it there cheaply enough to satisfy the shareholders. That and I would imagine that there would be no other way in Idaho.

Then consider this, they may have stored the cheese near the cleaning supplies at the store. It may have been there a couple of days or more before being brought out to the deli display.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Costco here has an excellent selection of good cheeses, including an especially good selection of Jarlsberg wedges. They also stock Kerry Gold white cheddars, another of my faves.
    yes, they do. my only problem with costco is that it's just me eating the stuff, so a costco-sized wedge is half a lifetime supply. now, if my kitty marcus were still among us this wouldn't be such a problem--he loved cheese ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Banned
    lucky cat

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    yes, they do. my only problem with costco is that it's just me eating the stuff, so a costco-sized wedge is half a lifetime supply.
    That's the problem with Costco. Sure, it may be cheap but do you really need a 55 gallon drum of vanilla extract?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    That's the problem with Costco. Sure, it may be cheap but do you really need a 55 gallon drum of vanilla extract?
    As in all things, Carlo mon ami, moderation. For an ardent cheese devotee, a one- or two-pound wedge of Jarlsberg is but a canapé. They have some excellent cheeses and sausages at good prices.

At Costco, I usually buy things like cans of diced tomatoes, mushrooms and canned stocks, flour, canned tuna and canned salmon, etc; also good for domestic drudgeries like laundry detergent, dish washer powder, toilet tissue, paper towels and the like.

On those occasions when I am in a pie-baking mood, I buy fresh fruits and berries there. Here at Casa Albi, we devour as much salad as a condominium rabbit hutch, and I often buy romaine lettuce and baby spinach. Sometimes they will have good arugula and other greens. I have even seen broccolini in Costco.

Alas, here the bluenoses in charge do not permit the sale of beer and wine in groceries. Yet, anyway.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Wasn't there some large grocery chain, possibly even Walmart, that was going to start a greenhouse, on premises? A fresh garden of vegetables, some fruits even. I remember seeing something like this on the television. Maybe it was just some obscure store out West.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Wasn't there some large grocery chain, possibly even Walmart, that was going to start a greenhouse, on premises? A fresh garden of vegetables, some fruits even. I remember seeing something like this on the television. Maybe it was just some obscure store out West.
    I have seen fruits in WalMarts, but they were not hot-house flowers.

73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

As in all things, Carlo mon ami, moderation.
    Tell that to my XYL. She all too easily succumbs to Costco's siren call of "Look! 100,000 paper napkins! It's only $40 and you'll never have to buy paper napkins again!"
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I have seen fruits in WalMarts, but they were not hot-house flowers.

It takes a strong man to stomach such a collection of rag bags masquerading as conviviality.