Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarlsburg cheese American style

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    u sure 'bout that!?
    the name is protected in the european union, but i'm not sure about the u.s.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    and wtf is it with people who have to play games with the fat content of foods? FAT IS FLAVOR, PEOPLE!! none of this fat-free half and half nonsense ...
    Don't get me started. I often complain to the butchers about removing too much fat off a steak to please the FUCKING old and/or fat ladies who pig out on sweets and readily eat hamburger or sausage with 75% or less lean. Out of sight out of mind right, you stupid FAT ASS!
    Last edited by kc7jty; 06-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    i prefer to get jarlsberg by the wedge ...
    Costco here has an excellent selection of good cheeses, including an especially good selection of Jarlsberg wedges. They also stock Kerry Gold white cheddars, another of my faves. If only I could solve the Limburger conundrum. Supermarkets around here have even stopped stocking the tiny jars of imitation Limburger spread put out by Mohawk.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I have been fighting the "fat-trimming" issue for several years -- mostly without success because many supermarkets now get their meats pre-cut from a warehouse cold room. I suspect that the trimmings are being sold off to sausage makers or even pet food outfits. Years ago, a butcher would give you fat scraps for the asking; then it was priced at $0.25/pound or higher; now it is unavailable from a supermarket meat counter.

Worse even than steaks is the rape of good roasts, especially rib roasts and pork loins.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    But...but...but...we should be glad that the state is looking out for our well-being. Everything they force us to do is only for our own good. Get with the program. If the state tells you to do something, lose the whining and cheerfully embrace the goodness of the state. cheesh! crybabies!!!

[pure sarcasm]
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I'd love to see the "good old days" come back, when even the large chain grocers would get a hanging side of beef and a side of pork daily and my mom could get whatever she wanted cut to order while she waited. Not anymore, thanks to minimum wage slaughterhouses. And that inert gas preserved Shit they sell at SqualorMart??? Nein, danke.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Now that's cheese, my friends!
    Last edited by NQ6U; 06-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    I'd love to see the "good old days" come back, when even the large chain grocers would get a hanging side of beef and a side of pork daily and my mom could get whatever she wanted cut to order while she waited. Not anymore, thanks to minimum wage slaughterhouses. And that inert gas preserved Shit they sell at SqualorMart??? Nein, danke.
    Back in the "good old days" food stores were owned and run by people who liked providing quality food...that's why they were in the business. Today, I'd wager that nobody on the boards of the major food purveyors knows diddly about being in the food business. They're only in it for the money -- as much as they can squeeze out of it at our expense.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Today, I'd wager that nobody on the boards of the major food purveyors knows diddly about being in the food business.
    No, the problem is that's all they know—the food business. What they know diddly about is food.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Ugh!

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman