Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use a linear, go to jail

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Jeeze, that's scary! One of those guys who knows just enough to be dangerous.

BTW, if Google maps shows your QTH correctly, I've been within a hundred yards of it on I-75 numerous times back in my former life as an OTR truck driver.
    If you think reading about it is scary, try being in the same room with it; a plastic storage bin holding fourty 400 volt computer grade capacitors and a full wave bridge constructed from 24 K2AW Silicon Block rectifers. I was there just once to atest to the fact that he could dead key that many watts.

The map on Google is spot on, except for the constant dust that is kicked up, I don't even notice the noise from I-75. 42 years ago, our family was displaced when they constructed I-75 and we moved to another neighborhood. In fact, one of the exit ramps is build where my old house used to stand. I moved back to this area 15 years ago.

I have no bleed over problems from I-75, just my neighbors who hetrodyne the airwave to hell and back; I could be on 75 meters and I hear him like thunder crashes from 20 megacycles away.

No excuses.

"...don't be blamin' me for your own inadequacies..."
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    The interesting thing about this is where (which frequency) this fellow was operating on, he was not a Super Bowl operator where, 750 watts is just an exciter for the final power stage. This fellow was probably just a local nuisance causing some type of interference to some local service like 911 land line or the Wendy's Drive-Thru.

Within a 1 mile radius of my "QTH", there are three "Kilowatt-PLUS" stations CB operators and one so-called "Tek-nisan" who is running a homebrew 4CX20,000 tube (screen and control grid grounded) which is driven by an 3CX1500 (8877).

The B+ X-former for the 20,000 tube is in the basement of the three story building connected to a 60 amp breaker; the RAW AC output of this transformer is run out of the basement window and up the side of a building where it is then rectified and filtered to provide 8,000 volt unloaded but, which drops to 5,000 under load of the 4CX20,0000 tube. He runs a 5 element "Long John" beam.

Over 5000 volts AC from basement to third floor carried in unshielded 10-2 with ground house wiring. Where is the FCC or, building inspector when you need them?

He can run a 12,000 watt carrier for 15 seconds and then, the breaker in the basement shuts everything down; it is pathetically humorous how, he will be out the screaming for "DX-Land"; make a hook-up and then, drop clean out because the breakers in the basement trip, five minutes later, he's at it again until the breaker blows.

I am the only licensed Amateur Radio operator in my zip code!

Sounds like a graduate of the Jack the Ripper school of electricians ...... the same idiots who do illegal dangerous electrical wiring diversions in stealing power for some of the marijuana grow ops we have around here..... real putty heads!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Sounds like a graduate of the Jack the Ripper school of electricians ...... the same idiots who do illegal dangerous electrical wiring diversions in stealing power for some of the marijuana grow ops we have around here..... real putty heads!
    Automotive jumper cables are your friends!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Beach Bum
    Wow that guy is an Idiot. I'd love to help the FCC catch some of these guys around here... 2 alts, and 8 batteries to run the 3500w amp some of these people here have hooked to a CB... Wonder when they will get authorized to inspect cb's in trucks at DOT check points.... I'd LOVE to see that happen. When I was driving a truck, I had 4 different times when I'd be woke up by someone's voice coming through the stereo speakers in the semi truck. Most common one I've seen is cb shops at truck stop selling 10m radios and converting them to 11m.
    "It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not"
    Jeremiah (aka W9JAM)

Our Agentschap Telecom, or comparitive to your FCC 1st fine 1100 euro's.
    Repeat offense 25.000 euro's.
    No need to be caught on the spot either, the houseowner of where the antenna is where the illegal transmissions come from just finds his fine in the mail.
    Since it is considered an economic crime no possebillety to lower the fine, nor to go to jail to sit it out, if need be they sell every posession you have.
    That took the fun out of the free banders here good.
    There are still some around, but not using excessive power.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

The best CBs I've heard on the air were not 10m conversions. I've heard some HF rigs on 11m that sounded really good but 10 to 11m conversions always sounded like average crap. Never understood that practice. I guess the feeling of having extra channels is like a penis extension. BTW, the HF rigs that I heard on 11m that I said sounded really good, they were all old boat anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    The interesting thing about this is where (which frequency) this fellow was operating on, he was not a Super Bowl operator where, 750 watts is just an exciter for the final power stage. This fellow was probably just a local nuisance causing some type of interference to some local service like 911 land line or the Wendy's Drive-Thru.

Within a 1 mile radius of my "QTH", there are three "Kilowatt-PLUS" stations CB operators and one so-called "Tek-nisan" who is running a homebrew 4CX20,000 tube (screen and control grid grounded) which is driven by an 3CX1500 (8877).

The B+ X-former for the 20,000 tube is in the basement of the three story building connected to a 60 amp breaker; the RAW AC output of this transformer is run out of the basement window and up the side of a building where it is then rectified and filtered to provide 8,000 volt unloaded but, which drops to 5,000 under load of the 4CX20,0000 tube. He runs a 5 element "Long John" beam.

Over 5000 volts AC from basement to third floor carried in unshielded 10-2 with ground house wiring. Where is the FCC or, building inspector when you need them?

He can run a 12,000 watt carrier for 15 seconds and then, the breaker in the basement shuts everything down; it is pathetically humorous how, he will be out the screaming for "DX-Land"; make a hook-up and then, drop clean out because the breakers in the basement trip, five minutes later, he's at it again until the breaker blows.

I am the only licensed Amateur Radio operator in my zip code!

Yeah those tubes can get pretty awesome. I remember the 50 Kw Continental xmtr at former WNEW ran a pair of 4CX35000's but of course with proper power supply so it could run continuously.

It will only be a matter of time before this guy electrocutes himself, or some innocent poor soul gets electrocuted, or, until he sets the building afire. He should put in a larger breaker or bypass the breaker altogether to accelerate the Darwinian process. Stupidity operates on borrowed time.
    Last edited by n2ize; 11-17-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Our Agentschap Telecom, or comparitive to your FCC 1st fine 1100 euro's.
    Repeat offense 25.000 euro's.
    No need to be caught on the spot either, the houseowner of where the antenna is where the illegal transmissions come from just finds his fine in the mail.
    Since it is considered an economic crime no possebillety to lower the fine, nor to go to jail to sit it out, if need be they sell every posession you have.
    That took the fun out of the free banders here good.
    There are still some around, but not using excessive power.
    For me excessive power on CB was about 150-200 watts carrier (via a tube amplifier) on AM and considerably more on SSB. Round here you needed it just to have a local conversation due to all the QRM'ers and nutcases ("puppets" as we called them). But I never has an egotistical power trip over it like some CB'ers. When I got my license the amplifier was a great 10 meter amp. But with the band open and quieter conditions the higher power was often not nessesary. In those days I used to go on hikes into rural/remote parts of NY state and those were the days before cell phones. So I sold the amp and bought a 2 meter handheld which was more useful for emergencies, etc. Even from some of the most remote areas I could hit the Equinox repeater in Vermont over 75 miles away. My CB days drifted in oblivion. I'm somewhat surprised to hear that people are still active on that band. I thought it was pretty much forgotten territory.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

We have professional high power illegal FM stations here running 10 to 100 KW power on FM and have portable masts up to 300 feet complete with generators to go with them.
    Running the weekend the high power station and take it all down again till next week/month...
    11 Meters? anything goes, ham radio's, the most expensive ones with Acom 2000, or homebrew or bought amps running 5 - 10 KW.

Those are very few though, there is some "freebanding" activety, but they know to stay away from 10 meters.
    Compared to the hey days it is just a very few left.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution