Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristotle with a Bust of Homer

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Aristotle with a Bust of Homer

There are much better images on the web; this is a plug for the Metropolitan Museum and an offer.

Anytime any of you are going to be in the city and would like to take in the museum, let me know. I've got a membership that allows 1 guest, and I'd love to share my most favoritest building in the whole wide world. That's one outSTANDING building!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I just finished Picture This last week so it's kind of cool to see this painting.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post

There are much better images on the web; this is a plug for the Metropolitan Museum and an offer.

Anytime any of you are going to be in the city and would like to take in the museum, let me know. I've got a membership that allows 1 guest, and I'd love to share my most favoritest building in the whole wide world. That's one outSTANDING building!
    CHIT! Now he speaks. I was in Philly for a month ending 2 weeks ago and would have gladly taken you up on the offer.

Say hi to this for me next time you're there:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Delft_019.jpg
    Last edited by kc7jty; 06-01-2011 at 06:51 PM.

You know, He's really got that classical "You're gonna give me head" look down.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Hey, Paul—not to belittle the MMoA at all but have you ever been to the Art Institute in Chicago? That place knocked my socks off!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

And, BTW, there's a Rembrandt here in San Diego too:

Saint Bartholomew, at the Timken Museum in Balboa Park. It's not a large collection but it's high quality and, best of all, there's no admission fee.

Very few things tops being in a class art museum on a slow day where you can just stand in front of these great works in solitude. My wife and I hit the Uffizi on a slow day. There was like nobody (well not packed anyway) there and we (sort of) owned the place. She went her way and I went mine and bumped into each other about 4 hours later. It was very hard to describe to each other each other's faves, so we finally said eff it and went for dinner on the Arno. Timeless places to get absorbed into.
    Enjoy!
    rot
    Last edited by rot; 06-01-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Hey, Paul—not to belittle the MMoA at all but have you ever been to the Art Institute in Chicago? That place knocked my socks off!
    Yes, I have. That was a pilgramage for Night Hawks. Took me three tries to see it -- it seemed to always be on tour. Chicago's tops for a summer urban vacation -- especially with miles of swimmable beach on Lake Michigan!

BTW....after finishing Heller's work the one thing that sticks out are the coins painted on the floor!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Yes, I have. That was a pilgramage for Night Hawks. Took me three tries to see it -- it seemed to always be on tour. Chicago's tops for a summer urban vacation -- especially with miles of swimmable beach on Lake Michigan!
    I didn't have a chance to swim—my museum visit was in December, while I was waiting for my tractor to be repaired after my co-driver burned out the clutch—but, for anyone with an interest in art, the Art Institute is awesome. There's Nighthawks and American Gothic, of course, but also a couple of Botticellis and a brace of Braques, some Dalis and Cézannes and a shitload of Chagalls and Gauguins. Then, there's Picasso's Old Man With a Guitar set up in such a way that it sort of ambushes you as you come around a corner. I almost fell to my knees: "I am not worthy!"

BTW....after finishing Heller's work the one thing that sticks out are the coins painted on the floor!
    Yeah, that was pretty funny. It's pretty clear that Heller thought Rembrandt was more than a bit of a jerk.

Banned
    http://www.nga.gov/home.htm
    this place is ok2.