Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Dayton?

Why Dayton?

Just pondering how Dayton, OH became the king of hamfests? And how has it stayed on top? You'd think Orlando would have bested them -- if for no other reason than it's a more attractive travel destination.

When you think of world class convention centers, you just don't think of Dayton, Ohio.. unless you're a ham radio operator or Serbian. ;)

Trotwood is near the old Drake HQ. Perhaps that had something to do with it...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Chicago, Denver, Atlanta are all major airline hubs. Personally I think Chicago would be a very good choice. There has been a lot of discussion about Dayton getting very run down.

I'm more interested in attending the Belton, TX hamfest someday, just because of all the stories I have heard. And meeting a lot of the characters I have talked to over the years as well.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Shelby was turning into a joke until the new town manager totally effed up that situation. The new location has worked out very well and doesn't smell like a pile of manure. The times I had been to Shelby at the old site, there were still piles of livestock dropping in the covered areas that were normally used to house bulls, horses, sheep and goats.
    Atlanta has hamfest at Stone Mountain. Small but it is more of a grower, not a show'er. It'll get bigger over the years but it attracts a lot of whackers. More so than most.

I have not gone in years. I have attended maybe a dozen times over the years. It seemed to be grander in the 70's. I heard a discussion on "Why it's Dayton" at some DARA meetings. For many reason's, back in the 50's-60's there was a higher concentration of amateur radio operators in the Dayton area. It started out as a local event mostly tailgating. Dayton is a one day drive from something like 70% of the country's population. I used to volunteer to work at hamvention in exchange for a free ticket. The politicians that really run DARA are not the ones that the public sees. I became disillusioned with the whole thing. I later learned the description of what was bugging me is "wackerism". As to the "getting very run down" HARA arena was run down when I was a kid. I love the flea market. To me, the flea market is the best part of hamvention. I only go when I have the $$ in hand, and the need for specific items. I hate shopping. I did see WB6ACU pushing a cart full of Collins gear at the flea market.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    I did see WB6ACU pushing a cart full of Collins gear at the flea market.
    I've seen Lemon James there for years. Sometimes with a bit of electronic stuff for sale, but definitely not so much to warrant the purchase of a flea market spot.

Go figure.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

FWIW, I've never been to Dayton - hope to go someday. I'm not being critical of the location, I'm sure they do a great job.. I think it's just odd that a relatively small city in Ohio is Mecca for us hams.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    FWIW, I've never been to Dayton - hope to go someday. I'm not being critical of the location, I'm sure they do a great job.. I think it's just odd that a relatively small city in Ohio is Mecca for us hams.
    There you go putting "odd", and "ham" in the same sentence. Last year, 50,000 people gathered in a remote place in the Nevada desert for the Burning Man event. I hope to make it to Burning Man some day.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    There you go putting "odd", and "ham" in the same sentence. Last year, 50,000 people gathered in a remote place in the Nevada desert for the Burning Man event. I hope to make it to Burning Man some day.
    Yeah, and so did the corporate sponsors who wanted to whore out the event like they always do with anything organic and real. They spend more money, and eventually have more say over the running of the event until it dies a slow death of mediocrity. But my buddy went this year, he loved it.

Why not have the big convention in Vegas every year? Convention centers everywhere, never a shortage of nice rooms, any kind of food you want, always adult stuff for the unencumbered...the place is built for a Dayton sized hamvention!

...just a thought.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Yeah, and so did the corporate sponsors who wanted to whore out the event like they always do with anything organic and real. They spend more money, and eventually have more say over the running of the event until it dies a slow death of mediocrity. But my buddy went this year, he loved it.

Why not have the big convention in Vegas every year? Convention centers everywhere, never a shortage of nice rooms, any kind of food you want, always adult stuff for the unencumbered...the place is built for a Dayton sized hamvention!

...just a thought.
    You start the movement, I will follow. You are spot on when any 'pure' happening goes commercial. I used to attend the International Real Witches Ball. it started out as a free street festival near the OSU campus. It moved to top end hotels downtown Columbus. We had the run of the place. I am pagnostic, but i prefer the company of pagans over most xtians. It was a wonderful weekend event, I have made still existing bonds with pagan folk all over the world. The guy who started it went commercial, and brought in big publishers, it died a quick death.

cul de n8tb