Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little project

My little project

What I've been working on over the past few days:

It's a Homelite 35A115 generator, circa 1957. I've had it for years but it's been sitting unused and I just got it started up this afternoon. It's a 2-stroke engine and it's still got some fuel system issues but is in essentially good health. It is a noisy bastard, through; I think the muffler is rusted out from sitting all those years. I remember it as being surprisingly quiet the last time I ran it, much like a small 2-stroke street bike.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Looks like an APU out of a Bell......................never mind.

It's not pink
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Fossil power is yucky.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Looks like an APU out of a Bell......................never mind.
    OMG! You're right! Should I paint it pink?

Actually, I heard that Homelite sold a lot of them to the U.S. Army for use on tanks. I haven't been able to confirm that, though.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Field day!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Field day!
    Not quite ready for that yet. It tends to run for several minutes then quit. I'm sure it's a carburetor problem—I had to replace the float valve seat with one out of a Tecumseh carb, which no doubt put something out of whack. The fact that it started up so easily after all these years was encouraging, though. Of course, I had to spend a few hours cleaning about a pound of varnish and old two-stroke oil and other unidentifiable gunk out of the carburetor, fuel lines and tank first.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-16-2011 at 06:55 PM.

A generator like that, while cool, is probably not the ticket to run an SS rig on. Voltage and frequency regulation probably aren't very precise, and an SS rig won't like that very much.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Forum Addict
    The thing is, If you'd put a muffler on it, It prolly would't run right. Most of those old reed valve jobbers don't take well to back pressure. You could could try it. But don't surprized if she don't buck on ya.