Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little too strong?

A little too strong?

Sent the following email out to a club station:

Whoever was using the station at around 13:30 UTC this morning on 5/16/2011 is apparently unfamiliar with proper operation of a transmitter when using USB at 14.350 Mhz. This is out of band operating.

Please inform your users of proper adherence to band limits and how a SSB transmitter works.

Thank you.
    Opinions?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Sounds good to me. Did you put it on an OO notice?
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    Sounds good to me. Did you put it on an OO notice?
    I'm not an OO. I just happened across the QSO.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Well Jim, first off, kudos for trying to do the right thing and keeping another op or ops out of trouble. That said...

Seems a little stern for a first time occurrance. Accurate, short & to the point, but stern.

Now if this is a recurring problem with one or more operators at the station in question, I wouldn't have a concern with it.

Are you the trustee for this station? That is also a factor. If you are, since it is YOUR ticket on the line when someone messes up, a stern warning or notification is definitely appropriate.

Not trying to bust your chops Jim, but if you come across like a crusty curmudgeon (even though you are 100% right), the message might get lost.

If I had been the one sending the message, I would have made it a little clearer that a 3 kHz wide SSB signal -- specifically USB -- cannot be transmitted with a (suppressed) "carrier" frequency above 14.347.0 MHz, or some or all of the signal will be out of band. My experience has been that a lot of "book" knowledge ops, when they first get active on HF, think that as long as the "carrier" frequency is in-band, they're copacetic. Of course, we know that they're not.

(That many DX hams get away with it is not germane to the situation, as they don't have to deal with the FCC. We do.)

The shame of the situation, too, is that while the FCC expects us to be a self-policing group, the very people we try to help in situation like this resent a 'frequency cop' telling them what to do. But that's another story.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That's a shame...the newbs I've seen that garner an OO notice usually manage to wet their pants.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

You've obviously never heard me working split on 40m huh? :rofl:

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

It's 9:30 AM.
    Do you know where your signal is?

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Not trying to bust your chops Jim, but if you come across like a crusty curmudgeon (even though you are 100% right), the message might get lost.

If I had been the one sending the message, I would have made it a little clearer that a 3 kHz wide SSB signal -- specifically USB -- cannot be transmitted with a (suppressed) "carrier" frequency above 14.347.0 MHz, or some or all of the signal will be out of band. My experience has been that a lot of "book" knowledge ops, when they first get active on HF, think that as long as the "carrier" frequency is in-band, they're copacetic. Of course, we know that they're not.
    Well, then I'm a "crusty curmudgeon". :-P

If you don't know how this stuff works, you shouldn't be operating it. JMHO.

Isn't this stuff on the test? If not, then we need to put it back. I've run into this kind of thing more times than I care to think of in the last several years.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 05-16-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Latest ClubLog entries.

Funny thing is the USB-at-the-top-of-the-band thing is not mentioned (or is it's LSB opposite at the bottom) on any of the tests. It should be, though, since it's not really obvious to a newbie.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Isn't this stuff on the test?
    yup