Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So... HOA antennas...

Orca Whisperer

So... HOA antennas...

My brother, a soon to be ham, is looking to get into ham radio. First question I ask (Since he's in FL) was: "Are you under an HOA?", and to my dismay, he replies in the affirmative.

He's got a single story house (Ranch style) I believe, so I'm curious as to what kind of antennas he should be looking at.

I figure, worst case, one of those MFJ apartment antennas, or a mag-loop. I'd really like to get him into building an antenna, and wire antennas are my favorite.

So, what's the likelihood of getting a wire antenna up (Assume no trees) that will perform rather well? Or, is the mag-loop a better idea?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I say fsck the HOA! Strike a blow for the freedom of radio amateurs everywhere—erect an 80' tower and put the biggest damned yagi you can find on it!

DEATH TO THE OPPRESSORS OF ANTENNAS! JIHAD!!
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Does he have an attic? Get as much wire up there as possible. 3 dedicated dipoles for 40m, 20m and a 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 combo then a fourth with as much wire as he can afford to string up. As long as it's 100 watts or less and he takes proper safety and mounting precautions then all should be good.

Then look at a random vertical that runs up a tree, over the top and terminates halfway down the other side. Mount balun at base and feed there, bury coax after treating jacket with a weather proofing coating that stays on the surface of the jacket. Do not use a penetrating coating.

If there is interest in 6m, a simple 3 element beam resembles a basic TV antenna and will work at heights of 12 feet or whatever the regs are on outdoor TV ant mounting. VHF 2m beams can be mounted on the same mast with a TV ant. A vertical may need more stealth work. A fold-over mast would be OK if the intent was to simply work it at night.

Then of course, moving. There should be a lot of cheap, foreclosed property (sad really) in the great state of Florida. They kicked it into overdrive with the foreclosures.

Stop being rational, Charles. It's not nearly as much fun as wild-eyed radicalism.

—Osama bin Logperiodic
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Outside of the Alpha Hotel, we strive to be less of an asshat.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Yeah, yeah, okay. You're no fun anymore...

Seriously, a trapped dipole in the attic is a good way to go. Remember that the elements don't necessarily don't have to be run in a straight line for their entire length. It's okay to bend them to fit into the space.

Orca Whisperer
    Does he have an attic? Get as much wire up there as possible. 3 dedicated dipoles for 40m, 20m and a 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 combo then a fourth with as much wire as he can afford to string up. As long as it's 100 watts or less and he takes proper safety and mounting precautions then all should be good.

Then look at a random vertical that runs up a tree, over the top and terminates halfway down the other side. Mount balun at base and feed there, bury coax after treating jacket with a weather proofing coating that stays on the surface of the jacket. Do not use a penetrating coating.

If there is interest in 6m, a simple 3 element beam resembles a basic TV antenna and will work at heights of 12 feet or whatever the regs are on outdoor TV ant mounting. VHF 2m beams can be mounted on the same mast with a TV ant. A vertical may need more stealth work. A fold-over mast would be OK if the intent was to simply work it at night.

Then of course, moving. There should be a lot of cheap, foreclosed property (sad really) in the great state of Florida. They kicked it into overdrive with the foreclosures.
    Ya know, I totally forgot about 6M, and that can be gotten away with, thanks to PRB-1 :) I think he has a crawl space, if not an attic. Should be able to get something in there, me thinks. I can help him build it when he comes to visit, and viola! He can bring it home and get his rug rat to help install. She's 3, should be able to help I think, as it's never to early to start

We do? :chin:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Sometimes :)

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Charles is no fun anymore. Big, wet blanket, that guy.