Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad Hoc Units of Measurement

Ad Hoc Units of Measurement

Anyone who's used the Internet for long is familiar with the shit-ton and the assload, both imperial and metric. Us old-timers know about the CH and it's finer cousin, the RCH. Back when I was a young man turning wrenches for a living, my friends and I came up with an ad hoc unit of measurement for torque, the grunt-pound. As in "that new oil filter you installed was seeping a bit so I put a few more grunt-pounds on it and now it's okay."

Anyone else out there have an ad hoc measurement of their own?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

No, we pretty much stuck with the standard "ASE Certification" measures. We had the "CH", then we had the "C", and we added the "PCH" (with "P" denoting pregnant). Each with increasing force.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Carl, you hit Home Run with this. May I use it?

We have a unit called a scungent here. As in 'take that part back to the saw and take it down just a scungent.'
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

We used to produce the active ingrediant in BeanO (alpha galactosidase) as a standardized unit/g. Much lulz in the assay group...had one guy who would cock one leg up and yell "Calibration in process". We sold out that business, but the antics remained for quite a while, esp the "Girls can't do this proceedure..No Way", type stuff.
    The standard fart unit was complicated...involved olfaction,volume,and dispersion factors predicted only in knowing the "WTF did you just eat" via survey, but you know we are professionals.

rot
    Last edited by rot; 05-01-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: isomer correction
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    We used to produce the active ingrediant in BeanO (alpha galactosidase) as a standardized unit/g. Much lulz in the assay group...had one guy who would cock one leg up and yell "Calibration in process". We sold out that business, but the antics remained for quite a while, esp the "Girls can't do this proceedure..No Way", type stuff.
    The standard fart unit was complicated...involved olfaction,volume,and dispersion factors predicted only in knowing the "WTF did you just eat" via survey, but you know we are professionals.

rot
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

Poot... a small pop of air from an air canister or compressed air line. Or of course, a tiny fart.

Fiddle flick... as in a small tapping to nudge something into place. Useful in SMD repairs.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Useful in SMD repairs.
    Of the very very few times I've tried SMD surgery, it would have been useful to have a third hand. I think at some points, even a prehensile cock would have worked.

"Gnat's cock": A very small linear measurement unit.

Spot torque = tighten it till you see spots.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin